Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

meet potential teacher tonite!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GTi Giant, Jul 25, 2001.

1. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    I am going to meet my potential jazz instructor tonite. I have been playing for a few months now, and have a basic understanding of chords and how to read bass clef. I spoke with him last week and explained that I do not want someone to teach me how to play the instrument, I want someone to teach me how to play music. I want to learn all that I can about how and why. He was really jazzed (pun intended) about my point of view, especially when I spoke of learning why what sounds good actually sounds good. Little nervous about it tho. I'm not that old, but it does take a little more these days for me to pick stuff up, and I haven't had to sit down and really do some heavy study/homework since college.....

2. Hope you find your instructor to be knowledgeable, helpful, and inspirational. Good luck and have fun.

3. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    He was really cool guy to talk with. He didn't have much time, the guitar instructor set him up w/ an appointment during what he "thought" was his free time. I setup my first lesson for Sat. @ 2:00. He said he wants me play him something so that he gets an idea of what I already know. Not sure what do there? Should I pick a song that I know or should I stick with like a simple blues run? Basic scales? I don't know that much, so I am not sure what to play. For you instructors, what gives you a better idea of what a new student can do when they start?
    Thanx for all the Help

4. don't be too concerned with how well you pull it off, or what tune you decide to play.

i have lessons from a Jazz bassist aswell, he's really good, but one of the problems i have is that i got and sometimes still get is that i'm a little bothered about trying to play something infront of him, he says to just play it,

thats what i'd do, go in there and they won't need to hear bars and bars of music to know your level, go in with an open mind and you'll get what you want

go in with to many preconceived ideas, and you'll be dissapointed

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Hey GTIgiant congrats on the lessons. I'm in my early Thirties and just started lessons with a jazz guitarist. Usually, they just want you to play something to see where your skill and knowledge level is at. Also, it took a little time for me to develop a dialogue with my instructor and to plot my course. No doubt though I'm learning faster than on my own.

6. It's a lesson, not an audition. If you don't make any mistakes, how will he know where to start? Play something you're comfortable with so he can accurately assess where you are. No matter what your level, he knows people who are better than you and worse than you. Relax.