Meet Sal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silent method, Oct 10, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

Well here he is, Sal or Salvador Dali after my favorite artist. He is an oregon newt an although he dosn't seem very big right now he will live up to 15 years and grow to be about 9 inches long. Anyway just thought I would share my newest pet with you all, hope you like him!
  2. What do you feed it? Crickets or other insects?

Cool looking lil thing.
  3. he is cool eh?!

he will eat almost anything right now because he is kinda tiny (only about 2" he is eating frozen blood worms, same thing as say a fighting fish but once he gets a little bit bigger he can eat things like guppies small goldfish pretty much whatever you put in the tank
  4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Everybody Ready?

HI SAL!!!!!
  5. If you took him out of his cage would he run like hell or are they calm enough to hold?

I have 3 lizards that just sit in the cage and plot their escape. The second I open it up to give them food, the jump out and run under the bed. :p
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    in 6 days?!?!?!? Do you really see a noticable size difference in a week? if so he must be VERY young right now or going to grow a LOT bigger than 9 inches. How big is he now? It's hard to say but assuming that's a paver brick he's on I'm guessing 3-4 inches right now.
  7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    He looks like my lizard, but a little smaller.
  8. yeah he is very very young, he has already shed his skin twice in the 2 weeks that i have had him.

as for holding him, he is usually calm enough to hold!

thanks for the comments
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sal rocks!

Take him to a park, and watch him woo the ladies . . .
  10. "hey there honey, would you like to see my baby newt?";)
  11. thanks for all the comments guys!!

Sal update:

I just offered him his first live fish to see if he would show any interest in killing it. So far he seems aggresive enough he has lunged at it a few times but hasnt hit it. He is just a little too slow still.

also as I have been doing more reading on him I have learned the he is actually a rough skinned newt and they are one of the most poisioness types you can get. hehe

wish him luck on his first kill!!
  12. Did you purchase him with your winnings from the T-shirt contest? ;)
  13. he never did get the fish, but we will try it again soon!

latest pic