1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Meet the Eden WT800B/Dr Bass BL212 3RU Airhead Combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, May 6, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Meet the Eden WT800B/Dr Bass BL212 Combo!
    Sorry the pic is kinda dark...black on black doesn't photograph so well, even with flash...
    This is what you get when you take a Dr. Bass BL212 3RU Airhead rated for 1000 watts at 4 ohms, and slam in an Eden WT800B pumping out 1100 watts at 4 ohms bridged.
    2 custom Eminence 500 watt 12" inch speakers and a selenium compression tweeter, tilt back wheels for easier transport, weighing in at 85lbs.
    So far, this thing *kills* with electric bass. Pretty meaty, and punchy...it doesn't seem as fat/deep as I thought it would be set flat, but you pumping in just a tad more low end with the Eden's widely dynamic eq does result in plenty of low edn mass...
    It takes what the WT800B can throw at it with aplomb. Results with DB are not satisfactory at this time...The Dr Bass doesn't seem to provide what I want for DB, but I'm willing to keep working with it for a while.

Attached Files:

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Cool! I like the custom cab with airhead + head idea.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    A couple of rehearsals later...
    First: the cab not having as much low end as I might have thought initially was pretty well offset by swtiching to a bass with flatwounds. The eden is now back to flat on the eq, and sounding pretty beefy with my 1981 G&L L1000 with SIT Powerflats...
    Second: I wondered why I did not like the Dr. Bass Selenium tweeter. Turns out it was broken, in several places-both the unit itself, and the wiring junction block from being "stuffed into the cab too hard?"...
    I got a replacement Selenium from my favorite cab maker of all time...if you follow my posts, or look at my profile you'll know who I'm talking about-his cabs have the only horn I've ever liked. Thanks tons mate, you got me and my unit off to work when no one else did...:) :beer:
    My friend sent me a Selenium DT150 to replace the broken Selenium DT120. The DT150 is still a tweeter type unit, not a horn type unit, but it's much smoother, less harsh, sweeter, and plenty of highs if you want them. The Dr Bass cab uses an adjustable high pass filter set at 3.5khz. I think a true crossover vs a high pass filter might make a nice difference, but that's an experiment that will have to wait a while yet...
    It is muuuch nicer. I've still not had a chance to get my Double Bass thru it.

Additionally, Marc at Dr. Bass did send me a replacement as well, though it took two weeks...He sent a Selenium ST200, which is a horn, and not a tweeter... I'll get that installed in the next day or two, and gig it once each way this weekend, and report back. Both jobs this weekend are electric only jobs, so a DB report will still be some time away...

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've gigged this rig three more times now.
    One large indoor venue with pa support, one small indoor venue with vocal mics only in the pa, one large outdoor venue with big pa support. All 3 jobs I played a Reverend P/J with flats.

first: sound guys love the eden wt800b's direct line; "best bass rig ever" was what both sound guys said. Best ever? Maybe not, but really does a great job.

small venue: in a 150 seat small club, this rig has more than enough of what it takes with no pa support. Big, fat, beefy, punchy, tons of headroom. Input at about 4, master at about 2.5, eq flat, enhance at 3. No DI used.

300 seat club with pa: great stage monitor, and I had to be careful not to dial in so much stage volume that the sound guy couldn't do his thing. He had me turn down at tad at soundcheck. Input at 5, gain at 3, eq flat, enhance at 5 to brighten it just a tad. Initially set the DI at 5, sound guy asked me to turn it down. I set it at 3, he had plenty of signal.

Outdoors: Big PA, lots of monitors. The rig more than held it's own on a big outdoor stage. Piano player on the far side of the stage wanted "a touch of bass" in his monitor. I could easily have turned up to where he didn't need that, but I would have been crushing the other side of the stage. Input at 5, master at 3.5, EQ flat, enhance still at 5, DI still at 3.

Overall: I like this rig pretty dang well. I think the horn would be more acceptable to me (I'm a chronic horn/tweeter hater, and so far my Schroeder is the only cab I've ever actually liked the horn) with a *a real crossover.* I popped open the one on the back of this cab to find a bunch of chinese labeled bits siliconed to the board with a cheesy looking l-pad that I presume constitutes a high pass filter, and not a real 2 way crossover. I'm looking for a high quality 2 way crossover to drop in.

that is all for now...

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bump, and an update:
    The selenium 200 that is in the cab has 4 ports to "let it breathe" from the tremendous backpressure the 2 12's produce in the lower registers. It turns out this is what was making the horn sound funny. Backpressure (despite the two three inch ports in the cab itself) was enough to reverse flutter the horn's diaphram in the lower registers. I used black cloth gaffers tape to close the 4 ports, and a flexible non-drying gasket sealer to close the gap around the wiring junction block, and...voila! Very nice horn response now...

6. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Glad to hear this box got some of the TLC it needed, and I'm sure it will find a good home with the right player. Sorry it didn't work out for the long haul, Alan, I really appreciate the detailed reviews of it's performance. I knew I had the right ideas when I sent the specs to Marc at DrBass. I bet it kicks some serious butt with a jazz bass and that Eden!

I might brave another potentially long wait from Flite Cabs and have them build a very similar configuration, but with their mid driver in place of a horn. I've used one of their 15s with the mid 5" for a few one cab situations recently and it shined. The mid driver really growls nicely with none of that horn crispy-ness I hate. Much easier to EQ on the fly than any comparable 15+horn I've owned. I'm thinking a Flite 212M, built airhead like the DrBass, on top of one or two (depending on need) 115Ms. It will probably take a half a year to get it, but I waited once and I already own the bottom cabs... :D

Chef, you da mang, mang! A lot of guys never would have taken the time to make it right. I've learned even more about what I'll need from the next incarnation of the Combo O' Death. Hopefully I won't be trying to sell you that one before I even use it! :bawl:

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Steve;
    I've enjoyed the cab lots. I've also enjoyed your CD lots, thanks!

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    True dat...hard for me to stick to gear for too long when it seems to be my goal for the last three years to "try one of everything."