Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meet the President -- Lee Barker!

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by IotaNet, Oct 27, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Barker Bass sponsored forum. It's here for you to enjoy! :hyper:

We have two goals:
    * The first is to provide a place to talk about the Barker Bass, share experiences, and ask and answer questions.

One of the most common questions is, "Who plays a Barker Bass?" My answer is, "The most interesting, stimulating, open group of musicians I've ever known!"

* Our second goal is to nurture this unique community.

Among the many rewarding things I've discovered since I started Barker Musical Instruments is the enthusiasm, loyalty, and support of the people who play our Basses. They love the instrument and love telling people about it! Establishing the forum on Talkbass is our way of allowing them to tell their stories and to invite you to experience the "Coolness" of playing a Barker Bass.

Please know that this forum is really for you. We invite your questions, your comments and your feedback and we're pleased that you're here!

Kindly,
    Lee

Attached Files:

2. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Thanks for visiting our forum. Launch day has its own excitement, especially after all the work that has gone before. That work was done by others who understand this technical world far better than I, and I am grateful for them and their work. If there are wrinkles, they'll be ironed out.

Wrinkles are being ironed out just outside the shop today too, as a crew repaves the parking lot. As I write they're noisily grinding out the failed parts. If you happen to know of a bagpipe band that would like to play for several hours, it would be welcome here!

Kindly,
    Lee

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Some day I would like to A/B one of your basses against my Azola Bugbass. They're two different creatures for sure, but I am most interested to hear the differences first hand. Next time I'm heading down I-5 to central Oregon I'll make sure to have scheduled an appointment to visit you.

All the best,

R

4. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Thanks for your interest, R.
    You've got a dandy there in your Azola. I have met Steve and Jill and they are great folks and they make a stunning range of instruments.

As for the test, you bet, welcome anytime, and bring your own amp if that would help in the testing. Several have done that. I have a room with basses and a couple amps. And the neighbors don't mind if we get loud!

We'll probably hear from Datta Groover (of Ashland, Oregon) on the forum one day. He came, he tested, he walked out with a Barker.

Oh, and just another note about Datta--he's one who has hot rodded his Barker a bit. Pretty cool.

Kindly,
    Lee

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA

Rod, (and all other Puget Sound TB'ers)

Why not attend the Christian Musician Summit? Barker basses is an exhibitor. It's Nov. 11/12 at Overlake Christian Church.

Yes, that was a blatent plug for the CMS.........

6. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    My bass teacher is sponsored by Barker Bass. He gave me a post card of the Barker Bass with a lady standing next to it. It says "Looks Good, Plays Great".

I'll have to let him know that there is now a Barker Bass forum.

7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Just out of curiousity, who is your teacher?

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Eric Owens

9. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    http://www.christianmusiciansummit.com/templates/cuscms/default.asp?id=32393

Thanks, Eric, for plugging the Summit this coming weekend. I want to underscore your invitation; the web site referenced above has all the details. We'll be bringing our Bassmobile filled with Barker Basses, some electronical stuff to make them Go Loud, and we'll be just barely tolerating the presence of Todd Johnson who has graciously consented to pose for pictures with a Barker bass, though it will not be his personal bass, the one with the glow-in-the-dark stickers on it. He's learning to adjust to the realities of a small, but friendly, company which has certain standards it must uphold. Even occasionally. Todd may bring one or two of his cool new instructional DVDs and, if he poses in the new Barker Bass T-shirt, we may let him sell one or two. Hundred.

Kindly,

Lee

10. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Ah, abuse from my friend Lee...............Sweet!! :help:

Actually, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone in Seattle..........including Lee! :D

It promises to be a great time of music and fellowship with my favorite folks.

If any of you are in the Seattle area, I would definitely encourage you to attend if you can.

Warm regards,

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Hey Lee,

Glad to see this forum on here....and thanks for the 6 tusq nuts from ebay. My nut files made short work of them....LOL Good to see ya here.

JC@ HJC Customs

12. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    Glad the nuts were the right thing, JC. I bet all us builders have stuff in the corners of drawers that, when examined, offers no explanation of how it got there and how it might be applied to what we do.

I do have two drawers marked "quite odd" and "very odd." Very often, when there are unusual, plaguy questions, the answers are therein.

Thanks for visiting and joining in the fun!

Kindly,

Lee

13. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    Brian Ritchie is a Barker Bass owner. On his recent tour the Femmes were booked for a couple of concerts on the West Coast in the midst of mostly East Coast dates. So alas they're in Salem, Oregon, three hours from the semi hallowed birthplace of the Barker Bass, without one! So we loaded up the available family and toted over a bass for him to use in the concert.

Attached, I hope, is a post-concert, standard backstage pic of Brian, historic old #007 (now with the "actually played in concert by Brian Ritchie" banner added to its pedigree), and the Old Man who couldn't believe the sounds Brian was getting out of the bass in a 5000/venue with enthusiastic and involved fans all around.

It was a great night for Lee and Linda, and for son Joe and his wife Sarah and little Lily, our grandaughter. Our thanks go to Brian and the crew for their hospitality and kindness.

14. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    This is not worth a new thread, but still a milestone in the history of Barker Musical Instruments: We just shipped a 5 string fretted bass to Venezuela. This is our first bass on the South American Continent.

Barker Basses are played in Europe, Australia, Asia, and North America (from Winnipeg to Mexico City).

Left to conquer: Africa and Antartica.

Onward!

Kindly,

Lee

15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Congratulations :D

Not to worry, you've already conquered New Jersey .... compared to NJ, Africa and Antartica should be a piece of cake :bag:

:cool:

16. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    Ah, New Jersey. A place I've never been, but I'd go there, particularly to meet Ed and Andrew Pfaff. Meantime, I'm grateful to you two for being, as so many are, articulate owners of our instruments.

Please don't consider relocating to Antarctica. We enjoy you where you are.

Kindly,

Lee