Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meeting a big name band...IM FREAKING OUT! lol

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_player16, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ok so heres the story, my girlfriend somehow managed to arrange for her and I to get 2 backstage passes and tickets to see audioslave in october, which I'm totally psyched about by the way :hyper:

Heres my dilema though, I know I'll freeze up when I go to talk to them or try to get a picture with them, you know the things typical fans would do. I guess my question is in past experiences how have you guys and gals got yourselves the courage to talk to a big name band or musician and still managing to somewhat keep your composure and not freak out. I'm nervous as heck right now and the shows not for like another month lol.

Jared

2. congrats on geting to meet audioslave. I suspect they'll be real cool.

remember these guys are regular folks, they put their pants on 1 leg at a time. Just be cool about it. acting like a fanboy up close and personnel will make them take a step back.
    Talk gear or ask them about the arena or where they just came from. Try to break the ice w/ something cool, not- I'm your biggest fan-drool drool drool. Once you break the ice, ask for your photo "hey guy guys wouldn't mind if i get a photo w/ the group. Just remember that they maybe pressed for time, your whole meetin might consist of a few heys, cool talking w/ ya, can i get a photo
    enjoy the moment

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Awesome band mate, i have always liked Tim Commerford's tone, even back in the RATM days. maybe that is a good ice-breaker, comment about Tim's tone, ask him what he uses.

other than that, they are just average people like you and me and FCM3.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just try talking to them the same way you would to anyone else.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep..just remember they are normal people. Perhaps you could start the conversation like this: "Hey Tim, Tom, do you guys think Mumia Abu Jamal is a pukebag?"

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    FIGURE OUT WHAT'S IN HIS PEDALBOARD!

7. Thanks guys this has helped alot, kinda calmed my nerves lol. I will definatly be checking out all of Tim's gear thats for sure. I had planned on talking to them like really people, or at least trying to lol, I know that probably won't be the easiest thing to do cause its audioslave like come on. But again thanks guys for the tips and advice, I will definatly remember it all when I meet them.

Jared

8. I read recently that Timmy C is a massive tone fanatic. Apparently he runs three different rigs to get his sounds and uses pedals to activate them. Let him know you are a bass player and talk gear! The same interview said he was a cool guy so I'm sure you'll be fine.

9. +1

The singer in my band has a son that runs lights at a local venue here in Atlanta. When Audioslave played there a few months ago, he hung out with them most of the afternoon and after the show. He said they were really cool, pretty normal guys. They sat around and talked about all kinds of things - just like you do with your friends. Treat them like normal people.

I know a somewhat famous guitarist and the last thing he wants to talk about is "that totally awesome solo from the second album" or whatever. Talk fishing, and he'll sit around all afternoon - kinda like that Skynyrd song.

10. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    :p you're friggin killin me! :p

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I remeber on the Victor Wooten DVD I have, he talked about how fans meeting him often freak out and they get all nervous and shakey and they can't think of what to say, his advice, take a deep breath... breathing helps a lot. When you get excited, listen to your breathing... it's short paniced breaths... breathe deep, and get yourself together. It's good advice, and it's funny, because I had the chance to meet him/hang out for a bit... but I bailed because I freaked out. Ha.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And Matt Till should know, with all his fans who get all nervous around him.

13. I've met a bunch of respectively famous individuals including actors, musicians and athletes and I find that (depending on their degree of notoriety) if you treat them as you would anyone else, they appreciate your patronage to a greater extent. Don't flip and tell them you think they're God, just let them know if you respect them as creative individuals and so forth.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

If I can smell fear on any of my fans... I beat them into a coma. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

15. "Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."
    - Bruce Dickinson

:D

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get me a lock of Tim's hair. It's what I need to finish my shrine to his tone.

17. A good friend of mine hung out with Mike Watt for a half hour before a show, talking about High School basketball. Music, fame, hero worship never came up. Just two guys talking hoops.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Watt is really cool. After I saw him, he hung out with fans out front and talked about Blue Oyster Cult for a bit... it was sweet.

But that doesn't count... Watt's punk... :D

19. Wow, you're girlfriend is making you a huge gift!
    Marry her!! ;)

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Have a drink or something like that in your hands when you are standing around. That usually helps you to stay focused and not be as nervous. Find out some info about the guys in the band, like where they are from or hobbies besides music. Mention something like that to them as a conversation starter. You could also wear an article of clothing from a musical brand name or a sports team. Those are a couple more things to start a conversation with anything besides..."Hi Mr. Cornell, I think you rock". :D

-Mike