Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mega cable thread! Monster! Planet Waves! George L's! Scams! Get it here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Dec 15, 2001.

1. A straight out question: What is the best cable for bass out there? The Fender pro tone is one of the most expensive ones, but is it the best?

Thanks for your time...

2. This is definately going to get more responses in the misc. so i'm going to redirect it there.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Call L.A. Bass Exchange and ask 'em about Tara Labs cables.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...or call Rawn Randall at R2musical. He'll probably tell you the same thing;)

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i got some armoured cables a few monthes ago. I don't know how great they are just for bass, but they are real nice cables in general. I jump around alot and they are super durable. Plus, they look really really cool.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Speaker or instrument? Instrument cables, I got Monster Bass 21 footer.

7. Yeah, i use Monster ProLine 1000 cables. They definately rock and the lifetime garuentee is real nice to have too.

8. i bought some $15 22ft cable at gc. One of the ones that goes around the Mic stands by the register. its the got the same thickness at my Monster Bass... dont notice any tone difference, and my Monster is starting to crap out. Also the $15 one's got gold contacts like the monster. The monster was twice as much, and 8 ft shorter.

Try George L's, i've heard nothing but great things about them. Get the thicker gauge ones though.

9. The best instrument cable I've ever heard is the Alessandro Instrument-Pro
    Solid Silver Guitar & Bass Cable.
    20 foot cable is only $1,999.95

I use Prolink Performer 500 Monster Bass Cable.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But does the $15 cable have a lifetime warranty? If your Monster is crapping out, take it back to GC and exchange it for a new one. That's what the lifetime warranty is there for.

11. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've always liked Horizon cables. They're not very expensive at all and they have a lifetime warranty. Sound just fine to me - as transparent as most any other cable that I've tried.

12. You don't have to spend a fortune on cables to get good ones. Paying over about $50 for a 20 foot instrument cable is a waste of money. The Monsters and the Planet Waves are among the best cables out there. Once you get beyond that price point you're paying for pretty shaky science... There are cable manufacturers who will give you all kinds of propoganda saying that their cables have "absolutely no Capacitance" and similar stuff. It's nonsense. If you have two conductors that close there's going to be capacitance. Fact of nature. Well made cables minimize it, but there aren't any cables that have 0 capacitance. I read an interesting article that did double blind tests on some standard high quality hifi cables versus ultra high end (i.e. $3000) cables. In every test, people who vehemently swore they could hear the difference between them, couldn't. One of the people asked to listen was Bob Clearmountain (and if he can't hear it...). So Caveat Emptor people:D

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lifetime warranty doesn't mean anything unless you buy a backup. It won't help you when your only cable breaks one hour before a concert on a weekend.
    Get cables with non-sealed plugs, so you can fix it yourself.

I use a German brand-name cable and Neutrik plugs, and they sound as good as any "creature" cable out there.

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    George L's

15. Well i have two Monster ProLine 1000 cables, so personally, i'm set both with a backup and the lifetime warrenty.

16. Thanks for the feedback guys...

17. Best cable => AllodoX's home-made cables :)

18. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i use the Monster bass 21 and Monster bass 12

nice lifetime warranty on those babies!

19. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...is no cable. Go wireless and stop worrying about your cables crapping out. ;)

Seriously, I like the Planet Waves cables. Nice price, nice sound, compression plugs. I use a 20 ft cable (I think) when I don't have my wireless on me.

20. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    George L's are the best things I have ever used. I noticed a big difference between them and my old monster cable. Thank god for the lifetime warranty on the monster, you need it, mine was always breaking. Tried the George L and gave my monster away.