Mega cable thread! Monster! Planet Waves! George L's! Scams! Get it here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Spectraflex cables! I have been using Spectraflex forever and I have never had a failure, I think I have one thats about 7 years old and I know some one who works there so I got to support the Co,
    I got a 21 footer Monster cable for my B-day last year and that's what I use in the studio though.

2. For the last year I have been using Planet Waves cable whenever I play. They got for around $30-$40 and the have no signal loss at all. They are the best gift to bass players everywhere.
    Try one and if you don't like it I will eat my strings!
    George

3. Suggestions? Differences in sound loss? And especially, freedom from kinking! Thanks!

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I really don't care. I just like mine to have chrome plugs cause they look better than plastic.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like the fender california cables-gold tips, and sound better than the flimsy cables to me. Thats all-btw if my spellin is off it's cause my dr. has me on lots of pills [10-12 daily]

6. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    I use a 20' horizon braided cord w/ a right angle end. Like the look and it sounds good enough for me.

jtbp

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    *Southern hick drawl*

This'un b'longs in Miscellaneous, I do beleive:D

BTW...I hear heaps o' good stuff about them thar Monster cables

*Southern hick drawl off*

8. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I just bought a George L cable. I'm really impressed with its clarity. I compared it side by side with my other cable, and noticed a noticeable improvement in the sound. They're often sold in custom lenths. You just tell the guys at the store exactly how many inches you want it to be, and they put it together on the spot. They also come in pre-made packages. George Ls are also a lot cheaper than Monster cables, and may guess is they don't sound any worse. (I spent about $20 for a 20 footer). I think Monster cables do come with a lifetime warranty, however, as do Whirlwind cables.

9. and so do planet waves cables, which are what i am currently pimping.

they definitely sound awesome - my only problem is that i think the "patented compression ring" isn't compatible with warwicks jacks...if i push against it it cuts out - whereas with any other cable it doesn't, nor does that happen with that cable in any of my other basses.

they're still good though.

jason

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have the same problem with the Planet Waves and my Pedulla Rapture. The cable works fine with my Cirrus and my Fender, but with the Pedulla it cuts out more than it works. I think I'm taking the piece of crap back to Mars and getting a Monster. The Monster that I keep with my Zon has been great, and sounds great, and has a lifetime warranty.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Another vote for George L's, although they're not the limpest cable made. Anyone here compared the .155" cable vs. the .255"? I've only tried the thinner stuff.

12. Fender Califorena cables, and Peavey

13. I use Monster Performer 500 Bass instrument cable
    & 12 gauge homemade speaker cable.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Warwick5S ~

Thank you for spelling "definitely" correctly.

15. um....you're...welcome? :confused:

16. I gotta go with Monsters. I like the quality, and the straight/angled works with my P and GSR205 very well.

Rock on
    Eric

17. Never buy a Peavy, we had 3 crap out on us in a week at last's years High School Variety show rehearsal's (they then became jump ropes and skateboard pullers while other acts were rehearsing)
    I like Fender Vintage Volt and Sound Fx cables

18. do you think if i pulled off the "compression ring" it would hurt anything? it looks like an absolutely stock and standard plug otherwise...so that has to be what's causing the intermittance.

jason

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If you do that, let me know how it works out.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021