Mega cable thread! Monster! Planet Waves! George L's! Scams! Get it here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Dec 15, 2001.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Everyone rants and raves about these cables being the best in tone/sound, etc...

Is there really a difference between something like a Monster Rock Cable and the Monster Bass Cable, Monster Jazz, etc...

I know of a few people claiming that the Studio PRO 1000 cables are on a different level (you can hear the difference) but what about the standard 100 and the ones I mentioned above? Monster charges a lot for their cables....

2. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    I was just wondering if anyone would know if the D'addario Planet waves cables are any good? Or how about the Monster cables? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

3. I bought the Standard (forget which model it's called) about 4 months ago, the 20 footer, after 2 lesser cables failed on me within a month. For me, it's the lifetime warranty that makes it worth it. Most gigging musicians I know are too deaf to hear the difference in an instrument cable, maybe a studio guy could tell the difference. I'm sure it's very slight. For me, it's the durability and warranty.

I'd say the "Jazz", "Rock", "Country", "Funk", "Folk", "Hip-hop" models are most likely a bunch of bunk.

Mark

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [Everyone rants and raves about these cables being the best in tone/sound, etc...

Err…not everyone. I will never ever purchase another Monster cable. I've had terrible luck with them. They constantly break and tangle. I've found the cheapo cables to work best for me.

5. I have A/B'd them against a lot of Standard cables (Under $50.)
    And the Bass 500 rules. Mine got a cut on it, I was telling the gut at GC about it. He said "bring it in, we'll give you a new one". He also didn't care that I got it at MF, they are guaranteed for life, to anyone..

So, $50. for a RULING cable FOREVER ain't bad. It's a better deal than two cheapo's that will $#!+ the bed eventually.

6. First off, i'm going to move this to misc where it more appropriately belongs. Second, Monster cables are just excellent cables.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [So, $50. for a RULING cable FOREVER ain't bad. It's a better deal than two cheapo's that will $#!+ the bed eventually.

My experience with Monster cables was that they broke within weeks ~ and yes they did get replaced free of charge but they still had the problem. Bottom line to me is that I've not had a single problem with my 'cheap' cables. YMMV.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There is a difference: marketing. ;)

If you want to own only one cable and you don't know how to choose a good one, there's nothing wrong with buying a Monster cable; they're good quality, but you'll just pay a lot for it.

If you're gigging or doing other projects like live sound or recording, you'll probably want to have several cables so you're always prepared. For example, I have three of various lengths in my bass case, plus three or four more in my gig bag, plus a few more in my cable crate. That way I can patch in my DI box for a feed to the board, lend a cable to a bandmate, or whatever needs to be done for the situation. It's better to be prepared than to be one of those pathetic types who's always a thing or two short. My cables are all ProCo, Whirlwind, Horizon, GC, whatever, and cost maybe a total of less than $100. The only cable that's ever gone bad on me in 20+ years was a short Radio Shack ultra-cheapie with molded plugs that started to crumble after a few years of use (I'd been using it only for playing guitar, to connect between a wah-wah pedal and a fuzzbox). I don't remember if any of my cables have warranties, but I haven't had to find out.

Buy high-quality but inexpensive cables and you'll never have to worry about it.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use Monster, but the D'Addarios look really cool and I'll be they work just fine.

10. Yeah, do those compression springs make any difference? I need some new long stage cables and the local store has these at half price - which then puts them at the same price as ProCo StageMaster cables.

What to do?

11. Planet Waves are sweet! Mine is much better than my dimarzio. anyways, yes those compression springs make a huge difference, as the cable is locked into the instrument and whatever else you plug it in to! Also, they have these little rings on the ends so you can colour code if you have multiple cables. Unfortunately, I can't compare them to monsters cause I've never used one.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    My monster 100 series cables ROCK!! The connectors rule! The cables are black and rubbery and easy to coil! If I was a professional sellout musician making 100 trillion dollars a year I would still use them! I love them that much! They're only like $20 for a huge 21 foot cable!

Go get some please! They're extremely durable and don't have that noise crackly problem that cheap cables have, and they have a lifetime guarantee. These things work perfectly, and that's all there is to it.

13. i use planet waves cables - and they're awesome..

except on my warwick. they're somehow incompatible with the jack - and if pushed on they cut out. i know some other basses have problems with it - but i'm gonna rip out that infernal compression spring and see if that fixes it. i've never had a problem with my cables pulling out of stuff, because i loop my cord inside my strap on my bass, and inside the rack handle of my preamp.

other than that, they're awesome. sound great, lifetime warranty, and significantly cheaper than the comparable gauge monster.

jason

14. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hmm... I think this is more of a miscellany. Will and Jeff, what do you think? :D

15. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    Well, I also I have a Warwick which is my main bass. But I had to get the jack replaced a few months after I got it because it was bad. Which was pretty sad because the dealer kept telling me that nothing was wrong with it after they tested it. I took it to the other music store, which isnt a dealer. Their guitar tech put in a new jack for six dollars and I havent had a problem since then. but now i'm afraid that i have probably voided the warrenty. that sucks. well i'm gonna try those cables anyways. thanks guys.

16. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    Has anyone tried the George L Vintage Red cables? I have a regular one and I was wondering what the difference in sound was. Also, what's a soldered cable as apposed to a non-soldered cable?

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't think there's any difference, other than jacket color.

18. I'm going to transfer this to misc. where it more appropriately belongs.

19. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    I too thought the Monster thing was just hype, until I actually bought two speaker cables and an instrument cable.
    The speaker cables made an unbelievable difference from what I had. And, yes, the ones I had were good, heavy guage stuff.
    But the Monsters brought clarity and an added lower frequency oomph.
    The instrument cable was not as dramatic, but there is a clearer high end with it than the Rapco or Conquests or Quantums I have had.
    So, in short, i am now a believer.

James

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

There must be at least 50 threads on this! I was a disbeliever in expensive cables until I tried a high end bass through a great amp with a Monster, compared against my $25.00 heavy gauge Guitar Center cable. My ears could hear a difference in the clarity and the highs.

But in a live performance situation, nobody is going to hear the difference between a $5.99 molded end grey 28 gauge cable from Radio Shack and a Studio Pro 1000 cable.

But I buy Monsters because of the lifetime warranty. I have never had to use it. But I have been through at least 100 cheapo cable over the years that crapped out at the connector(I know, that can easily be fixed with a soldering iron) or worse, developed an intermittent short somewhere in the middle of the cable.

I may never need to exchange my Monster. Even if I don't, it's a decent buy IMHO. But I look at it this way. I bought an expensive cable one time, and I get free replacements for the rest of my life. If the first cable I had ever bought had a lifetime warranty, I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars in cables over the years. If it breaks, go down to GC or Mars and exchange it for a new one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021