Mega cable thread! Monster! Planet Waves! George L's! Scams! Get it here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Dec 15, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

OK, I am merging all of these cable threads into one. This is getting out of hand.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I was going to go with the Monster cable when my old cable fell apart. I ended up with Planet Waves. I like the right angle plug, and it has the lifetime warranty for about half the cost of the Monster.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Wire is wire is wire is a commodity.

Expecting better "clarity," "definition," "bass extension," "dynamics," "phase alignment, etc. out of a particular speaker cable (unless you're comparing it to a defective cable or one with excessive resistance, such as being very long or thin) is like expecting to get smarter by drinking a particular bottled water; it just isn't there, although some could convince themselves otherwise. Don't expect simple copper to improve a signal; the purpose of a cable is to convey a signal without affecting it.

Instrument cables can affect sound negatively if they have excessive capacitance (active basses are largely immune, though, because of their low output impedance), which will cause a first-order low-pass filter than can roll off the high end, or if they are insufficiently shielded, which will cause hum and noise pickup. There aren't any electrical characteristics in an instrument cable that will deteriorate the low end or the dynamic range.

To minimize capacitance, use a low-capacitance shielded wire or use a short cable. For shielding, a good copper (or tinned copper) braid works well. A foil shield with a drain wire might have too much resistance in the foil to be an optimum shield, but fortunately they're seldom made in a two-conductor coaxial configuration. Spiral-wrap shields are notoriously lousy for anything longer than a few inches.

Obviously, any cable should be physically durable, with robust connectors.

It doesn't cost much to get all the right qualities in a cable. Even GC's promo instrument cables have low capacitance, very good shielding, and seem to be fairly well made. But it's a free market; you have the choice of paying a lot or paying a little.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd dig up this old corspe.

Has anybody done a comparison between the .155 George L's and the .255's? I've got tons of Monster Bass cables, but my rigs keep changing, and I keep running out of cables of the right lengths. So I'm seriously considering switching. Anybody? Go fish?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021