Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mega-Laminated Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How about some pics of basses with at least five laminates in the body? I've always loved the look of them.

Here's one from the recent Netherlands basses thread
    [​IMG]

And here's an Aries that's at Joey G's Music right now:
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's a couple from a Japanese builder:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    And here's a zebrawood Alembic that has been cut and laminated with pieces of ebony inbetween:
    [​IMG]

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Michael Dolan custom 6 - look real close, I think the body is nearly 500 pieces of wood! :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, glue does sound good.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Is that Dolan a bass or is that a photo of someone's hardwood floor? :D

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Hey, that japanese 8 stringer is just way cool! :cool:

8. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played that Aries (or one similar to it) at NAMM in January. It was lumpy...

9. The laminates in the Aries fretboard are funky too!

10. [​IMG]

The bass that all these basses are based off of.

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    What do you mean "lumpy"? Could you feel all the laminates?

12. ITS..... LES CLAYPOOL!!!!

*stares at picture*
    :smug: he's so cool!

13. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, that is exactly what I meant. When you combine that many dissimilar woods its almost expected though. The oil finish didn't help either in my opinion.

14. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    that neck looks soooooo skinny compared to that 8! carl does a good job on his basses. its sad to see him stop taking orders soon. o well i ordered mine! T-minus 3 years and counting!

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was waiting for the rainbow bass.

I recently had the honor of playing a CT jazz bass at a local bar.

It was open mic night and all the regulars were there but I was new and all the sudden I see this familiar headstock poke out of this dude's case as he picks up a jazz bass.

It was pretty freakin awesome. It was a bolt on CT with a jazz body. Really nice and playable and it sounded so full even though it had some regular DiMarzio model Js, which are nice, but Ive never heard them sound like that. I asked him about it and he told me that he was an old friend or Carl's and that he's had the bass since 78 I think. Really good player too. I think Im gonna have to show up next open mic night and see what I can throw down with him.

Oh... I guess I should contribute.

[​IMG]

16. Basextravaganza

Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004
    I'm currently building a 9 string with an 19 piece laminated neck and an 9 piece laminated body. When the first pictures are made I will put them on my website.
    www.bas-extravaganza.nl

The first bass in this thread is mine. And the epoxy glue does sound. Dont let the 39 laminate fool you!

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Whoa that's some cool weirdness. I'd love to play a couple of those 2 string basses just to try it.