Megadeth breaks up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Due to nerve damage to his left arm, Dave Mustaine cannot play guitar for at least a year, and as such has broken up Megadeth.

This is really tragic, because he's completely cleaned his life up. I feel terrible for him and wish him a speedy recovery, because he has more to say as a musician.
  2. That sucks!!

Within a months time, two of my favorite metal bands (Fear Factory and now Megadeth) have broken up!!

I too wish Dave a speedy recovery.

I think it's time to play a megadeth tribute on my CD player.
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    WOOHOO!I can't stand Megadeth!Sorry all you megadeth fans,i would really hate it if a band i liked broke up.IN MY OPINION, megadeth tried too hard to be satanic,it just came out as phony and pathetic.I must say that dave mustaine is an amazing guitar player though.and the bass player created one of the best basslines ever for "peace sells".everything else i just dislike about them.

I liked fear factory a bit though.
  4. since when did fear factory break up? I didnt think I had been out of the loop that long.....geez....when did it happen...
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Megadeth? What's that?
  6. Heres the thread about it. :(

frankencow, I know you said it was your opinion, but I never heard anything "satanic" about their lyrics. Well, no more than any other fairly mainstream metal band. Can you give me some lyrical examples?
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, especially since, starting on countdown to extinction, i'm pretty sure, dave started "thanking god" in all the liner notes.

i've been into 'deth since peace sells, and i've yet to hear any overtly satanic lyrics - at least nothing on the "king diamond" level.
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmmm...if I was David Ellefson, I'd give James and Company a ringy-dingy!

That would be.....AWESOME!

EDIT: I'm sad to hear about Dave, but IMO, Megadeth has gone way downhill since Risk.
  9. Hey Hategear - now that would be interesting!!!!

It's a shame to hear about Dave - I've got a few of their albums, there's some good powerful stuff on there.

I cannot imagine the mental torture he must be going through now knowing that he can't play the instrument he loves playing for a year - imagine if you couldn't play bass for a year.

I really hope he has a speedy recovery!
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't think so. Dave Mustaine's family are Jehovah's Witnesses. Maybe in the earlier days they did some shock-value stuff, but that's usually all it is anyway.

Personally I stopped listening to them after I bought Cryptic Writings and hated it. They've sounded like an uninspired band to me ever since Youthanasia... Nonetheless, Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction are two of my all-time favourite albums.

And I have to say that IF what I heard was true - that Nick Menza was fired by Mustaine once he developed knee problems - then this must be poetic justice...

Still... :( I hope Dave's arm heals soon...
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with ChaosGwar, JT and thrash_jazz on this one. I don't recall anything satanic in their lyrics, at least post-Peace Sells, I wasn't into them before that.
  13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    AHHH,everyone is ganging up on me!Ok,well maybe they dont try to act satanic,or whatever you wanna call it,but they try to act so bad and wild like all the metal bands out there.With themes such as "killing is my business",and "devil's island".The lyrics to "peace sells" are so corny too.But that bassline intro is one of my favorites...
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i met dave mustaine twice. for interviews. it is a nice and intelligent person. i wish him the best.
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That truly sucks :( I really haven't heard anything off the new album except "Motopsycho" which I thought totally kicked butt.

I agree though. I don't know of any satanic references in Megadeth's music. Espcially considering that Dave's a born again Christian.

BTW, has anybody ever listened to Dave's sideproject, MD.45? If not, I suggest you check it out. It rocks.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    speaking of other megadeth related projects, check out chris polland's side group damn the machine. very cool album, too bad they're not around anymore either.
  17. Damn, I just couldn't fathmon the mental anguish that Dave must be suffering right now. I think the mental pain is much more painful the the physical. I just can't imagine my self not being able to play bass, or play tennis, or basketball or work out at the gym.

I've been listening to Megadeth since 1985 when all my friends werel listening to Dirty Dancing soundtrack.
  18. I always hear about megadeth. Everyone says how cool they are and how their music is what 'metal' is all about. Recently, I saw a commercial. It was megadeth selling a live cd. I was anxious to see this commercial because finally I can get a chance to hear clips of their songs and to see them live.

After listening to the 30-second ad I decided one thing. Megadeth sucks! The singer Dave Mustaine is a horrible singer. Sure, he has a cool name but his music is so elementry. They have no stage presence what-so-ever. The only fans that these dudes have are people from the south. I saw a lot of rebel flag tee-shirts. Whats up with that F'n flag anyways?? Don't you southerners know that you lost?!?! When you lose a war you loose your flag!!
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So, you base you entire opinion on one 30 second commercial?

What if people based their whole opinion of John Paul Jones or Mike Dirnt on 30 seconds of one song?
  20. You can't really judge a band's stage prescence on a 30 second commercial. First off, its on TV, and watching a band live on TV is an oxymoron. second off, it is just 30 seconds.
    I never got into Megadeth, one of my girlfriends really liked them and I respect them, they're just not my bag. Dave Mustaine is an intense guy though, from BTM:Megadeth, yeesh.

Ditto on the rebel flag thing, though. 1)Why do people who don't even live in the south wear them?(point in case: My friends took me to a Lynrd Skynrd show last summer [a couple months before their bassist died] in Upstate NY and there were so many rebel flags!! Not just from the Skynrd shirts either) 2) I realize that slavery wasn't the only reason for the civil war, and that there were many economical factors that went along with it, but after the war the flag came to symbolize racism with the why do people continue to flourish it if they claim not to be racist? Even if they aren't its stupid, like putting a swatiska on your shirt and claiming its German pride.