1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Megadeth sound

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by stldon72, Jul 22, 2012.

1. stldon72

stldon72

Jul 22, 2012
    St. Louis
    I really like how Dave Ellefsons sound cuts through the mix. I was wondering if anyone could help me get a simular sound. I just got a MarkBass F1 and am having trouble dialing it in. I play rock, modern rock, alteritive and metal. I want to stand out and not fade into the mix without turning up the volume.

My amp:
    Markbass F1
    Hartke 210XL
    Hartke 115XL

Thanks!

2. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Fresh strings, EMG humbuckers and LOTS of mids.

3. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    And a pick!

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Ellefson cuts through a mix? :bag:

I really must be listening to the wrong cuts of metal artists because threads like this always confuse me.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Actually David Ellefson scoops his mids. In Megadeth the guitars hog the midrange.

If the guitars don't sound like Megadeth... your bass will never either no matter what you do. :)

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Agreed on that. I'm a Megadeth fan, and worship Mustaine and Ellefson... but it's trashmetal from the 80's and the sonic mayhem that comes with that. Not bass friendly.

However David is awesome.
    I pre-ordered his signature Hartke amp that is just out. (I should receive it end of august here in europe.)

7. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Same here. I'm a huge fan of all the classic thrash bands, and I even enjoyed the melodic death metal sounds of guys like In Flames and Soilwork for a year or so in high school. That said, I could never distinguish the bass from the guitars unless nothing but the bass was playing, and that's why threads like this confuse me so much.

8. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Actually I was thinking the same thing. Thrash albums from the 80's are some of the worst mixed, from a bass perspective, records ever. Sad because Cliff Burton & Dave are a big reason I started playing bass.

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I love Soilwork, and I like the basslines... but maybe that is because as a bassist I know what to listen for. I concur again that the presence in the mix is small... but it's still there and it fits the music.

People (metalheads) sometimes look at me funny when I say that I am into power metal. But in power metal you can find the best recorded bass lines. IMO Rhapsody has really good recorded basslines, .... simple basslines put they sit in the mix so well.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm going to go one step further and say something more controversional: even from a guitarist's perspective 80's trash is badly mixed. Stereotypically they want the guitars to sound as if played in a big arena.

But then again we all can gripe about a lot of other genres that suffer from their own mixing philosophies.

11. stldon72

stldon72

Jul 22, 2012
    St. Louis
    Im new to bass. Played guitar for 25 years so I may not allways ask good questions. I posted this after hearing the intro to peace sells thinking that it really sounded good. It was on an iphone app for Ellefson.

Any suggestions on setting the F1 to get a good clean sound that cuts though the mix?

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Dave cuts through alright on a record (if it is a tricky part it is probably Marty Friedman, people rip on Roger Waters but he is not the only guy who doesn't play bass on his own records every time) but live, he sounds like garbage... and he is a typical knob bass player.... he ALWAYS wears a Megadeth shirt at his own shows...

It might be because every time they play here they play this awful venue which cannot have good sound, but even when I saw Megadeth open for Sabbath with Lomenzo on bass at a different venue in another city they were mixed awful.

And yes, I am quite sure Dave scoops his mids right out, listen to his tone.

13. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    So you guys are saying you cant hear Ellefson at all on stuff like Peace Sells?

And what the hell is so bad about him wearing his own band shirt? The things people get judged on!

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Epitaph, peace sells has a famous bass line.... hear him on mechanix...

And yes, you should never wear your own band shirt on stage... we all wear them around home and such... they are free shirts. I would consider that to be as douche-y as the guy who drives around listening to his own CD in his car pretty much exclusively... we all know at least one of those guys...

15. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    There are no good or bad question. Never hurts to ask.
    (You new to Talkbass, welcome btw :))

Like I said before: what is the sound of your band. You are a guitarist so you probably know a lot about this.
    What good is Ellefson's tone when your band is not interested doing a Megadeth sound?

But to get you on your way: set everything flat, dial the low-mids and high-mids back a bit. Play with a pick and go for a clean(ish) sound.
    David is using Hartke LH amps now. If I remember correctly from an interview he likes the bassman tonestack in those amps because of the inherent mid-scoop (all controls at 12 o clock).

Dave should leave David's stack alone.

:D :p

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Semantics...

noone said this. edit: well at least I didn't say it. :)

17. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Besides the intro riff of the song and a few other moments here and there... not really. Like I said, you can hear him when it's just him playing, but add guitar to the mix and he's gone. Same goes for Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted, Peter Iwers, etc, etc...

18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I thought he always had a pretty good active bass tone (and the highs are there too). I was into them back when Peace Sells came out though so I am kinda old. :bassist:

Active pickups (or a nice preamp like the Hartke Bass Attack), fresh strings, add some highs and he used a pick (or dig in with fingers).

19. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm not into 80's metal but I LOVE that peace sells bass line that MTV used to use.

"MTV news. You hear it here...[insert peace sells clip]...first."

20. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    With my Jackson CMG and GK setup, I can copy his early tone..

Bass: 7 or 8
    Hi and low mid: 10
    Treble: 4
    Boost: 5
    Contour: 10

And a pick wont hurt.