Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Megadeth-The world needs a hero- any good?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jun 18, 2001.

1. seeing as my The Cult topic seems to have bombed like a lead balloon, here's another go;

has anyone bought Megadeth's new album?

I was disappointed by Cryptic writings and didn't bother with Risk after hearing Crush 'Em.

but what David Ellefson says about the new album in BP sounds great- if there's stuff like Five Magics and Hanger 18 on there I'm definitely buying it.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The only song I have heard from this album is "Moto Psycho." It's not overly original, but it kind of grows on you after a few listens. I did like Cryptic Writings but did not like Risk. Megadeth used to be one of those bands whose CD I would buy the very day it came out without needing to hear anything off of it -- until I bought Risk. It pissed me off that Dave Mustaine called that recording a total flop and then seemed to blame it on the departed Marty Freidman. He went on to say that had it done better, ...Hero would probably have been more like it.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't heard it yet.
    But new guitarist Al Pitrelli is great - worth checking out.

4. I have the new CD but haven't listened to it enough to give an educated review. I liked Cryptic Writings but wasn't impressed with Risk. I think Dave Effelson was right when he said the new CD sounds more like older Megadeth, but I haven't decided yet whether the new CD sounds as good as older Megadeth.

5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Megadeth use to be my fav band, but I got over it. I still like all their albums, Cryptic Writings is one of my favorites. Risk IMO is good, it's not very "Megadeth" but all together a great album. I dunno if I'll buy the new album, if my dad buys it I'll be glad to tape it off him :)

6. I bought the new album- after downloading "Warhorse- recipe for hate"- definitely reminiscent of 5 Magics.

I like the Moto Psycho single- strange though, that the version I downloaded has an acoustic guitar/violin outro while the album version doesn't...

great bass sounds - on all the tracks where Ellefson used a P bass the bass cuts better than the ones with the Modulus 5- I wasn't too keen on his tone on Youthanasia either (great songs on that though).

overall it's a good album- better than anything Metallica have put out recently IMHO....

7. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I've not bought it yet, but I saw MegaDeth live a couple of weeks age and most of the material was from it. It's not too shabby, but I'm not really fond of "Moto Psycho".

And I really liked Cryptic Writings and Youthanasia.

8. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I bought it about a month and really like it. "Moto Phsyco" does grow on you and they sequilled "Hangar 18" with "Return to Hangar". I personally like the orginal better but it is still a great album IMO

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Dude I saw them opening for AC DC and Al didn't impress me at all. Dave and Dave where good as always, and the new drummer kicked @ss!
    Al screwed up parts of his solos and played sloppy according to me. Marty Friedman may have strange taste in music, but he is a better player. Maybe he (Al) was nervous or something.

Who the hell uses a Les Paul for thrash anyway???

Oh I went to see Megadeth not AC DC.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I heard it over at a friends house, I didnt care for it that much...My favorite CD buy them is still Countdown TO Extinction

11. after listening to the album a lot I really like it now.

definitely better than Cryptic Writings (not heavy enough, not enough chugging riffs, songs a bit poor), and better production than Youthanasia (didn't care much for that reverbed-out sound, although the songs are as good/better as on world needs a hero).
    Dave Mustaine's voice also sounds better than on Countdown to Extinction.

but does anyone agree with me that Mustaine always uses the worst acoustic guitar tone? horrible plastic, piezo sound. just miking up the acoustic guitar would be much better.

12. bad, very bad album. absoloutly hate it. I got into a few of their earlier albums but the last two have been shockers I think it's time they retire they're never going to be metallica so they should stop trying.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i think it blows. but that's my harsh musical opinion.

imho, their best LPs were Killing is..., Peace Sells..., and Rust In Peace with a slight nod to So Far...

NO heroin=bad megadeth. I do not condone the use of drugs, but to me, dave wrote much more interesting stuff when he was high.

I mean c'mon, they coundn't match My Last Words is they tried now. ;):p

14. Peace Sells and Rust in Peace had awful production though IMHO. too much reverb - I don't like Mike Clink (Rust in Peace producer)'s production on G N R's Appetite for destruction either.

"I think it's time they retire they're never going to be metallica so they should stop trying."

hmm, a contentious issue, but judging from what Metallica have put out recently I think Megadeth are more worthy of continuing.

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    you know musicially, IMHO of course, the first 4 megadeth lps are far superior than the first 4 metallica LPs. better bass lines, better riffs, better solos.