Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[Megathread ?] Power supplies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Power supplies are useful as soon as you own more than a couple pedals. They become essential when you start assembling a pedalboard.

I think they would deserve a megathread. What do you think ? We'll see.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bricks:

Cioks
    Burkey
    Trex
    Dunlop

Chains:
    Onespot
    Godlyke

What else?

3. Jazz Ad

I paid 85 € for mine.
    [​IMG]
    www.cioks.com

It's not a complicated device, all it's supposed to do is to power your pedals and it does it well.
    2 LEDs let you know if the unit is powered and if a shortcut runs rampant somewhere in your pedal rig.

So you plug it to the mains, wire your pedals to it with the dedicated cords, RCA -> pretty much anything you may need.

Cioks provides regular DC plugs, line6 style, mini jacks, regular or inverted positive, a 9 V battery clip for pedals with no DC plug, multipliers and even a voltage doubler for 18 V effect (I use one for my Fulltone Bass-Drive).

IHMO, it only misses a power switch (to power off all my pedals at once). I was concerned about the internal fuse (no outside barrel for quick change) but Poul Cioks assured me that the circuit was protecteed by delays and the fuse wasn't supposed to ever fail.

The bottom is flat and the profile low so it's very easy to attach it to a pedalboard.
    It's completely noiseless and doesn't generate any noise or hum.
    I clearly noticed an improvement when A/Bing it against my older power supply (a 10 year old SignalFlex) that I thought did a good job.
    The lower end of my signal got a bit straighter and clearer for some reason.
    No much more to say otherwise, it's not supposed to affect your tone and doesn't.

Construction is flawless, the circuit is simple and clean, the transformer is BIG, the box is sturdy and the RCA style plugs are a great idea since they're known for being very durable.
    The whole thing oozes professionalism.
    I haven't used it long enough to testify for its reliability but the unconditional 2 year warranty says a lot.
    I also heard compliments about it from long time users.

I contacted Poul Ciok by email before buying and he gave me great advices regarding my needs, nearest distributors and various details. I got answers within the same business day. The guy is incredibly helpful.
    Way to go.

There are 2 other models in the range, the Baby (5 outputs) and the Double Jack (provides 9 & 12 V).

4. Jazz Ad

Hell if I know.
    Signalflex and Voodoo Labs, to start with.

Even if it's only a Kil:Dthread, it still could be useful.

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I use a 1spot with the matching daisy chain. I never had a problem, 1700 mA is waaaaaay enough for a large amount of pedals, it's well filtered, the angled plugs are a good idea. I'm not about to change it, I think. :)

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's my dilemma, currently I have on my board:

Guyatone BB-X, 12 volt
    EHX Bassballs, 9 volt
    EBS BassIQ, 9 volt
    EHX Q-Tron +, 24 volt
    Danelectro Cool Cat, 18 volt

Right now, adapters and powerstrips take up just about as much room on my board as the pedals. Is there something that can handle all of these?

7. Jazz Ad

Wow.
    The Cioks Double Jack with a pair of voltage doublers could do that.
    I suggest emailing your list to Poul Cioks.
    I'm sure he'll tell you what you need.

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My pedals include:
    Boss TU-2
    Boss RC 20 XL
    Boss Bass EQ
    Electro Harmonix POG
    Akai Deep Impact
    Emma discomBOBulator (Net yet)
    Analogman Chorus (Not yet)

I've been researching the DC Brick ($100) and the Voodoo Labs 2 ($170). I want my pedal board neat and with no extra hum. I can afford either of these supplies, but do I need to spend $170 to do it?

Thanks in advance. Bob

9. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    You're probably stuck with using adapters for the time being. The Guytone is 12-volt AC, while your other pedals are DC (though I'm not 100% sure on the Q-Tron - I've never seen a 24-volt pedal). Even if you could find a power supply that would power your DC pedals, you will still have to use the adapter for your AC pedal.

I use a ADL Juicebox (unfortunately discontinued) which has 9-volt DC, 12-volt DC and 18-volt DC jacks as well as 9-volt AC jack, but I still have to use the my 12-volt AC adapter for my Pigtronix.

10. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I used the Godlyke, but I had problems with both my Line-6 shutting down and excess noise with my Fulltone. I'm back to the original adapter/batteries.

11. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, I'm slimming down the board:

- Fulltone Bass Drive 9v
    - Sansamp BDDI Programmable 9v
    - Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus 18v

So my question is, if I get the Godlyke I could use it for the Fulltone and BDDI no problem, but could I use both of the 9v battery clips to power the Cool Cat (it takes two 9v batteries)? It should, right?

12. Jazz Ad

Wrong. All you're going to create is a short circuit.
    You need a voltage doubler device.

13. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    No, huh? Well crap, there goes that cheap idea. I guess it looks like a Dunlop Brick or a CIOKS for me, but I can't find a CIOKS distributor in the US.

So you run an 18v to your Fulltone? What's different about it than using a 9v?

14. Jazz Ad

Well, you could always get into a bit of DIY.
    [​IMG]

The difference with the Fulltone in 18 V is subtile. At first I thought it was useless but in the end you understand the difference.
    Basically, I get through better in 18 V. The fundamental is stronger and the overall tone is clearer, even with full on boost.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I use a Godlyke Powerall.

Only complaint so far is that the plug had to be jammed a bit to fit into a Dunlop 105Q (a bit of the rubber sleeve was in the way) Otherwise fit perfectly into Boss and Digitech pedals.

16. If anyones thinking of DIY, your absolute best bet is The Spyder at Geofex. The man behind it is a dead set genius and the folks over at www.diystompboxes.com will be glad to help you through it (but a quick search of the forum will turn up many useful threads relating to the Spyder.)