Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Megoliath vs 2 Goliath IIIs vs ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Megoliath

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. 2 Goliath IIIs

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. ???

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ok, I am turning to you guys yet again.
    I am preparing to make the jump and buy some high-quality amps. I was going to buy the Mo' Bass, and run it stereo with a Henry 8x8 on one side, and my WM's 2x10 and 1x15 on the other, until I could upgrade to the pro series. I called SWR today, and they said this would not be a good idea...something about one side taking more power than the other, causing undesireable frequencies or something of the sort. They advised I go with either the Megoliath or 2 8ohm Goliath IIIs.
    The 2 Goliath IIIs will cost about $100 more than the Megoliath, so that's not really a big deal.
    Unfortunatly, I can't try them all out before I buy, so I'm just going on gut-feeling here.
    So what do y'all think? Anyone with experience with all these? Please help.
    Oh, and I am going with SWR, so please no suggestions of Edens, Bag Ends, Acmes, etc. although I know they'll come anyways.

Thanks!
    Adron

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I think you should go with 2x4x10. Easier portability, and for small gigs you can bring just one. I don't believe the tonal difference would be significant.

Well... if you just HAD to go stereo, you could get four 2x10. That way you could run one pair at small gigs, and two pair at large gigs. :)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dont' forget that the megoliath can be setup like 2 4x10's...with a cable you can make it an 8x10 or without the jumper you and run two seperate channels in...i would go with the 2 4x10s. simply because of portability and flexibility.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have the 810 and if i could have afforded 2 410's at the time i bought it, i would have..

go 410.. the 810 is baffled to be 2 seperate 410 cabinets... so by going 810, all you lose is a tweeter and a lot of portability.

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    So, aside from a potentially lower price, the megoliath doesn't have any real advantages over a pair of goliath III's, correct?

6. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

I use an SWR SM 400 with the Goliath Sr. 6x10. I've heard the Sr. with the SM 900, and it just doesn't seem to have the same tone as the 400 cranked almost wide open.
    Unless you're wanting to run in stereo, I would consider that setup. The Sr. and the 2 space rack fit perfectly across the back of my Cherokee, and weighs in at about 110#'s. To me, it's the perfect cabinet.

7. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, SoCom I didn't read everything in your post. In your case I would go with the 2 cabs. If you have enuff room at some gigs, you can split em up on stage. That should have a killer tone!

8. save your back, go for the two 4 tens !

I own a Mo Bass and two 4x10 cabs, and I don't regret it. I can still choose to take one or two cabs to the gig. You can't with the megoliath.

Peace
    Bassmanjr

9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have a Megaliath. When I was looking for a cab I compared it to a pair of Goliath III's. I can tell you that they sound different. The Goliath is more Hi-Fi with a sweeter tone and more upper mid. I equate this with the GB/jazz sound. The megaliath is voiced differently. It is deeper with more low-mid. I think SWR wanted to attract rock bassists like me. It was also very different souding than the Ampeg 8x10, fuller range and more hi-fi. I suggest you try each and decide for yourself. I wouldn't assume that 2 4x10 sound like an 8x10.

As for portability, I find the Megaliath easier to move than 2 4x10's. One because it has built-in wheels and skid rails, and two because my band mates don't expect me to move it by myself.

10. Although i am a huge fan of the megoliath as a cabnet and think it's one of the best 8x10s on the market, especially with the nice addition of handles on the bottom, i am still going to have to say go with 2 410s. I have 1 410 currently and it weighs more than enough for me. It has casters, but still, on steps casters are useless. As mentioned above, tonally, i don't believe the sound will be that much different from the 8x10 to 2 4x10s. So my vote is that of the 4x10s.

11. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I have to agree with MrFortuneCookie as I'm in the same situation with currently running one Goliath III (4 ohm) cab. I've always wanted to run 8x10", but for portability, two seperate cabs works best for me. Also, given some smaller gigs that you may encounter, you might only need to pack half the stack.

~Peace~

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Do these cabs have enough fullness and depth to the sound to work alone? For the smaller gigs, I plan on keeping my WM 4004, 2x10, and 1x15, but I could just leave that at practice and take the 1 4x10, if it has enough fullness.
    I don't know what to do!! :D

And thanks for all of y'all's input so far...keep the comments coming!

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    found this thread in a search...

If you have a van, the Megoliath might be easier to load and unloead than 2 4x10's, you can just slide it up into the van. Also, the 8x10 doesn't take up any more stage space than 2 4x10's, or 1 4x10 for that matter.

Local store has one, thought I might take the rack there and blow out some wondows.

14. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Finally, someone brings some common sense to this discussion!! :D

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive compared one Goliath III to the Megoliath. And they where voiced totally different (like lo-z said). I didnt like the 410´s "artificial" highs but the 810 was fat and sounded much warmer. I know this was not the best comparison cause there was just one 410 but you could really hear that the cabs didnt sound the same.

16. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yep, that is pretty much how I heard it too.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it you have two strapping young hosers to lug this stuff around for you.

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ....it's got wheels...

low-z: how does the DB728 sound with the Megoliath? How about when it's wide open? Can the Mego handle it?

19. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sounds great. The Megaliath can certainly handle it.