Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Megoliath ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SHIFTGREEN, Jan 12, 2003.

1. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Hey,
    I may have a chance to get a SWR Megoliath if a sell of mine goes through, I will find out in a few hrs. Anyway I would like to know if anyone knows what would have deeper tone and more punch , one Megoliath, or 2 Goliath lll's stacked. Assuming I am running a 750x .. Any help will be great.thanx.
    this may be too greedy however , is a megoliath worth it, or 2 goliath 3's ? i dont want any 12's 15;s or 18;s, I like how 10's sound...maybe if I just bought a goliath 3 and stacked it on my workingman 4x10 ?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it will sound the same.

the megoliath is made up of two cabinets of 4x10's. i'd go with the two 4x10's for portability reasons.

3. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    you would think it would sound the same but the fact that the megoliath has those huge ports in the front seem like it would go deeper, unlike those ports that are at the bottom of the goliath.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I''ve compared one Goliath III to bottom half of the Mego. The difference I heard was how much deeper and bigger the Megoliath sounded with the same amp and bass. The punch was about the same, but The Goliath III had a tighter much more clearer sound. I would personally go with the Goliath III becuase of the great difinition.

5. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Portability works both ways.

I'm no bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't carry a Goliath III any distance at all by myself. I use a dolly, or if I don't have access to a dolly, I get someone to help me with it. The Megoliath has the tilt-back capability with built-in wheels and pushbar. Essentially a built-in dolly. So on level ground, moving from point A to point B, Megoliath wins for portability.

However, you have to have a vehicle big enough for it. And in a pinch, I can lift a Goliath into a car or onto a stage by myself. . . you'll need help with the Megoliath unless you can lean it against the bumper or floor, then lift the bottom and slide the thing into the van or up onto the stage.

I guess what I'm saying is don't immediately dismiss the Megoliath because of its size, because it is portable in its own way, and the Goliath is no lightweight.

6. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    im not worried about size, just tone quality and what is the loudest.
    Mego=1200 watts ported holes 8x10 and the little options like mono and what not. 100 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 37 Hz & 13 kHz)

2 Goliath's = 1400 watts.no ported holes, response
    105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 40Hz and 15KHz)..

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I considered the same thing a while back. Megoliath vs. 2 Goliaths. I haven't had the chance to A/B both of them, but those who had seemed to agree that the pair of Goliaths was more of the high definition, "SWR" type sound, while the Megoliath was voiced a little more towards the classic 8x10 rock sound. Personally, I'd opt for the 2 Goliaths because I prefer the clearer, more defined sound, and you can always get casters for them. Plus, if it's a smaller gig, just take one.

8. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    would anyone compare the sound of the Henry to the sound of a Mego? b/c they both have the same type of ports and get below 40hz. I Play a Henry twice a month at my youth group and I love being able to feel the low B and how deep it is. would 2 goliaths get as deep as a henry you think ? I wish i could try out the mego and 2 goliaths but there are none around, at GC the best they have are 2 goliaths stacked but they arent biamped or anything. i id get to try a goliath and a SOB and i dint like that sound for some reason.

9. My Henry the 8x8 doesnt sound as deep in the bass frequencies as any 8x10 cab, at least to my ears. (I had an Ampeg 8x10 before Henry.) What I like about Henry is the punchiness, loudness, and portability. If I had lots of cash, a loud band, and no problem transporting the cabinet(s), I would go back to an 8x10. -Wes

10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    What kind of music do you play? If you don't care about size, and wants LOUD, you should get the Megoliath. To me it seems to project much more sound than the Goliath III's. Like SoComSurfing said it is more voiced like an Ampeg, but still has that SWR sound.

11. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    ok ok.... here is the deal, i have 820 dollars.. i can get a mego on ebay but i dont want to take a chance on paying that much and getting crap.. I have already a workingman 4x10, so i may just buy an goliath3 4x10 and stack..do you guys think that will sound ok ? or any other sugggestions... i am not going to sell my workingman yet b/c my dad just got it for me this past christmas and i could sell it just like that.

12. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    well it seems like good things can happen, I just managed to grab an extra 100 bucks, so i have 925.00, I may buy this mego on ebay for 850 brand new, its about 200 miles from where i live so i am going to drive there. One problem, I still have a workingman 4004 and 4x10 cabinet..... i have 30 day satisfactory to where ican exchange it, so for 1000 dollars worth of new equipment what swr amp could i exchange it for? or should i sell them both and get a 750x ? I know i said i wouldnt sell it, so im still wandering what to do, but man, a mego would be so kewl...maybe its to greedy.. what would you guys do >? 920.00, with workingman 4004 and 4x10 brand new?
    sorry for writing so much but i need to make fast decision, i have to play in 2 weeks and i would love to have something bigger by then.
    thankx again

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have been playing through a Megaliath for about a year now. I love it. I compared it to 2 Goliath III, and the Henry the 8x8. First, two 4x10's do not necessarily sound like an 8x10. Even 8x10's don't sound the same. (I also compared it to an Ampeg classic 8x10, which sounds completely different.) The Goliath III's immediately had that wedding band/garden jazz sound. The Henry the 8x8 couldn't match the smoothness and fullness of the 8x10. It was more like it's punky little brother. The Megaliath had more of the sound of a good 2x15 cab, but with the punch of 10's.

14. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    This thread may accidently get deleted b/c earlier i checked my email and clicked on the unsuscribe link, but my main question is this, will a workingman 4004 work with a megoliath? i dont know if i'll have the money to get the Mego and a new amphead right now, so would it work for the time being? Will it be bad on the speakers if I use a workingman head 400watts, it was recommended that i could use one senior, henry, big bertha, and big ben.... so would a megoliath be any different?
    If so then i may opt for a senior, but there are none for sell on ebay so i would have to go new, and thats 1000.00, and would a senior be louder and deeper than a henry? i want something that will atleast go as deep as a henry without going for 15's or 18's.
    chris

15. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Tomorrow I am going to Fat Sound and ordering me a Goliath Senior. I am trading in my workingman for full price so im left with paying 550.00 for a new-n-the-box Senior. The bad part is that it will take around 10 days to get it. So i have to wait for another 2 weeks :( Oh well small price for a awesome cabinet I think. Anyone else think that this is a good cab? I will only be pushing it with 400watts, but in the mean time it will have to work till i can get upgrade for amphead.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Doesn't the Sr. have less LF response than all the other Goliath's but consequently is much louder and punchier? Is that what you're looking for?

Alex

17. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    2 goliaths cost more than one senior, a megoliath is 300.00 more, and my amphead would die from trying to push it anyway, the henry only holds 480 watts, and thats what i have been playing through so i want somehting different, but as long as the senior does good with a low "B" b/c i have a 5 string than thats good.

18. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    An Ampeg classic 8x10 is rated at -3dB at 58Hz, and a low B still felt like someone was physically pushing on the inside of my ear even at a low volume. Yes, its not the true fundamental, but no one is going to mistake it for a B an octave higher either. Ratings *might* give you an indication of what something will do, but an electronic meter cannot tell you what something will feel like.

As far as not having an amp rated at the max power of the Senior, I wouldn't worry so much about that. You won't be able to use the cabinet to its full potential, but I don't think you'll be hurting anything (as long as you don't clip your amp). As far as killing your amp, I think that will only happen if the efficiency of the Senior is way below that of the Henry.