meh noobs......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jun 16, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i was at school one day and this guy in my year just came up to me and my friends and said this:"your all a bunch of amatures, you cant even play the notes for smoke on the water, i can play it it e flat minor with a sharp triple chords and double power chords!"

right now your probably thinking ***??!! and it gets weirder. he then starts saying its like me being in the "sunday legue" for football and him being in "the premiership"(all english football stuff)
    and later we ask him so hum smoke on the water and he starts singing eye of the tiger.

AND when we ask him what the open strings of a normally tuned guitar is and he says"you have to find out for yourself in order to learn it properly"
    also he claims to have a gibson sg-30???!!!

has anyone else ever met this type of person or situation? i personally think its knida funny but very annoying.
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Eh, we were all noobs once. I don't ever want to become one of those people that has forgotten what it was like first starting off and has no patience for beginners. The only thing a noob could do that would make me not want to help them would be to have this tard's complete lack of humility.

Humility and a willingness to listen to others are key when first starting off.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    no but the thing is that he never played guitar and he was just trying to piss us off
  4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I think that's probably what he was going for.

I've never been in a situation like that, but plenty of "bAsS iz lyke SOOO much EZer than geetar!!11oneone" taunts. My advice is to just ignore it; the ignorant people who say this will never learn, and arguing with them will only bring you down to their level.

5. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    People like that I usually play right into to see how rediculous they can get.

"Really? WOW. Can you show me some tapping/hammer-on stuff? How about a private lesson? Can you play Dbbextraminor14th#0.5 - I've always wanted to learn that chord in purple inversion."

It usually shuts them up, or they go off and make themselves look even more foolish.

I think there's a difference between a noob, and an idiot. Noobs aren't so bad. We were all noobs once. This guy is just an idiot.
  6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Yes - sounds like idiocy to me too.

as a newb/noob/beginner myself, never would I pretend I know more than I do - its probably the other way round :D Any help or advice I get I'm very grateful for, as experienced players probably have better things to do than keep explaining the basics over and over.

Better to admit what you dont know than pretend you do and come off looking the fool - like that guy :D
  7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive actually just started i cant play much but i can tell when people pretend to know lots of stuff because i know piano and music theory(a bit).
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I knew one in the Marines who always bragged about his Corvette, but could only drive his '56 Ford wagon to work (this was so many years ago that it wasn't considered "vintage"). I offered to race his Corvette for pinks slips with my Road Runner. No bite.

Then another guy in college who liked to boast about his 140-mph Studebaker (no, it wasn't an Avanti).

We found these guys to be the source of endless hours of entertainment, with proper baiting. They were exactly like John Lovitz's "liar" character.
  9. that's weird.

i knew a guy who said he couldn't play an acoustic because he only knew how to play electric guitars.
  10. Insecurity.....ain't it great?! :D
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Munjibunga is my hero for owning a Road Runner.
  12. I've heard that come outta some kid at GC. It just makes you laugh and walk away shaking your head.
  13. Somebody had probably just called him a n00b and stuff, and so he went over to you and did the same thing... sharp triple chords? Double power chords? ***?

Just give him a calm smile, nod your head, etc. It isn't even worth talking to people like that.
  14. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I agree. Don't waste your time, just agree and walk away.
  15. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I hate people who are wrong, and know they're wrong, and you know you're right but they insist they're not wrong.
  16. JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    Modesty is a virtue.

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I always love the guys who think more pick-ups = better bass..

That cracked me up when I was borrowing a vintage fender with the single pick-up...
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I don't know man, ya gotta be perty expert to play "Smokin' the Eye of the Tiger's Water" in Eb. On accoustic, it's reAL tough.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... back in the day.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like the concept of a chord with twice the power.