meh, why not? Zon Sonus TJ-6, $5000

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Angus, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm rapidly losing interest in almost everything lately, and maybe changing things around will help that. I don't necessarily want to sell this, but sometimes you should do something painful that might help clear the mind and soul. Who knows, maybe I'll use the money from this and the other instruments I sold to order another TJ-6. Whatever, we'll see. Either way, I don't care much at the moment.

I'll start the bidding at $5000 (note: price reduced at bottom of page!). It was over $6000 exactly 1 year ago and is one of only two modern Zons made with a walnut body (the other being the sister piece of walnut to this one that on an already sold bass).

No trade offers please, at all.

Specs are:
    - Spalted bubinga top/headstock
    - Walnut body
    - Ebony accent plate
    - Black hardware; tuners upgraded to Hipshots
    - Bartolini pickups, radiused, with Polyfusion pre (the best preamp they offer)
    - Satin neck finish
    - Currently strung E-E/E-F, but nut is cut for B-C so I can just revert it back to that
    - Comes with ultralite hardcase

Pictures:
    236152435.jpg
    236152414.jpg
    236152399.jpg
    236152379.jpg
    236152357.jpg
    236152335.jpg
    217263734.jpg
    217261449.jpg
    217261422.jpg
    217261408.jpg
    217261396.jpg
    217261381.jpg

2. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Beautiful bass and shapely toes...:help:

3. If you really want to change things around.....

How about trading for an Excelsior Gold AC accordion? 120 bass and extended 42 key treble keyboard. 6 bass reeds/4 treble reeds. Special hand made reeds - darker sounding than the usual AC reeds. Sennheiser microphones installed. Listed at $8000.00 when I got it in 1994 :D

At any rate, good luck with the sale!

Hope the shake up clears your mind and creativity.

RJM

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Haha, think I'll have to pass on the accordion, even if they do sound cool tuned in just intonation.

I do indeed have very shapely toes- they look short in the picture but I can pick up a baseball bat with them suckers.

5. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    :eek:

That is an amazing bass.

Pity I have nothing to offer, or I'd be all over it.

Good luck with the sale!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    REALLY??????

Man...good luck. I can't believe you're selling this one.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That is absolutely stunning. It's way out of my league, but best of luck on the sale.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks guys!!

Me neither actually, but god, I need to do something. I may buy another later though, as there are a few things I'd change to make it the perfect bass for me. But, really, that's not the reason for it at the moment.

I'm selling all my amp equipment soon, too, once I make sure a couple input jacks are doing alright. 3 down to 1.

If you are interested in the bass at all, I did tell you I'd offer it to you first if I ever got rid of it!

9. It breaks my heart seeing you sell this bass.:bawl:

But I guess a bass that fine just has to be played. There must be some serious **** going on in your life. I'll give you the usual advice to hang on to it, perhaps one day inspiration will return.

On a side note, is it possible to play slap on these basses? The extended fretboard seems to make it difficult?

None the less, good luck with the sale, and I hope you can get your life back on track again!

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

Thanks. I'm looking for something that is similar to this one but I'd spec it a bit differently. For the money of a bass of this caliber I want it to be dead on what I want. Good luck man!

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    that thing looks amazing.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sounds and plays a hell of a lot better than it looks, too.

13. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Hmmm....what is the string-spacing at the bridge?....17mm?

14. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Ooohhh.....Purrttyyy!!

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    AndroWal, the spacing is 16.5mm. That's the standard spacing for all Zon 6 strings.

16. I've seen this bass in person, and I must say that the top is much more striking that the pics are showing.

Sweet bass indeed...if it was only within my financial limitations.

17. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Thanks for the info.

Really enjoying my modified TJ style 5-string fretless w/ 29 position neck/fingerboard....your six would be a great fretted variation.

I'll consider!

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Awesome! Just let me know when you want to talk! :)

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm willing to do $4500!

20. Beautiful bass! I've never even heard of the TJ series of Zons, can't find any info on the website either. When did they start making these? 26 frets, that's awesome!
    Good luck with the sale, this one is a killer!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021