Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 4, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    so the band i just joined practiced today, an i already dont like it, the guys are cool, but our musical styles are way different, im more punk/ hard rock, and theyre more grunge/mid-early ninteys crap-rock

i cant see playing their songs, im not a big fan of grunge, so i think i hav to quit, its the right thing to do,
    but my next problem is pretty bad too, ive had a drummer lined up for quite some time now, hes a real good friend but i cant find a guitarist with similar styles that isnt already taken?

i think im gonna break the news tomorrow or tonight online

what should i do?, where do i go now
  2. If I were you I'de quit due to lack of interest in the style. But I've been told by people in successful bands that they started out with bands they hated but it got them out there and people saw them and he just found people to form better bands with over time.
  3. Don't make a radical decision and quit right away,try to bring your "half" to the table and see how they take it.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    if you just joined the band - it doesn't really matter what they're playing now. if you like the guys, and they're good musicians, everything will grow, evolve, change. I HATED the music I was playing originally in The Nerve! I was simply doing a friend a favor, and reluctantly so, by playing a handful of gigs with him. As time went on, my input got a lot stronger, and years later the material is absolutely nothing like the first 10 songs we played.

I think a lot of people throw away a lot of great opportunities becasue they can't find "exactly" what they're looking for. I also think the greatest things evolve out of people coming from different angles and growing alongside each other. If I were you and the band was cool, I'd play anyhow and give it my all. No reason to not continue your search. If you find the perfect people then go for it, but the people you're already with may become the perfect people long before you ever find what it is you think you're looking for.
  5. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    whoa where in maryland do you live?

i live in frederick
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I thought you were Hoyt from the Johnboy and Billy Show-"meh, hello?"