Meisel 8000 thin line EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Anyone know anything about these?
    I'm looking to venture into upright/eub land, and this seems like it might be a good starting point. Can't find much info on them though.

On one hand, I like the idea of the traditional size and shape, and the fact that it can be acoustic.

On the other hand, something like an Ergo is probably a much easier trnasition from slab basses-but that's probably another thread...Thanks ofr tips, Alan
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The link doesn't work and i reckon you'd have better luck in ther DB forums.

Good Luck!

3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, they look really cool. I imagine they work on the same principle as those slim-bodied acoustic-electric guitars, and all of those I've heard sound just fine.

It might not be quite as "thumpy" or "organic-sounding" as a standard 3/4 size upright, but the best thing you could do is A/B one of those Meisels against a normal upright and see how close they are.

I dig em, though. I'd like to play one, but nobody around here carries anything like that.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm interested to see what the guys over there have to say about it. Seems like a pretty good idea.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Please don't crosspost!

I'm moving this to the doghouse side of the board, where you'll get more attention (and abuse!)...
  7. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know if I get the point -- so it's half as thick as an upright. It's around the same price as a lower-end but playable plywood (engelhard, for example). What makes an upright a pain isn't the thickness, so much as the height and width.

You still can't fly with it. It's still a pain to fit into a car. But it's gonna sound crappy next to a full size bass. What's the point?
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    How sweet, fresh meat. Welcome to the abattoir.

I remember Bob Gollihur, who knows a thing or two about double bass, giving a similar instrument (Knilling?) a lukewarm response. If you want to fake a DB sound, you might as well go all the way towards mininalism and get an Azola or an Eminence, etc. The thing is, you still have the basic outline of a DB to haul around; it's not gonna be that much more convenient, so why not get the real thing?

I will say that I had a Meisel 8900 lam DB that served me very well for a long time. Nice bass.

Finally, please inform MR.CRACKPACK that we take incontinence issues very seriously down here in the tarpits.
  9. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Such a fine new word! I had to look it up but think I will add it to my arsenal. Thanks much Big Johnson.

10. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I've been gigging with a similar Knilling for a few months now. I've been very pleased with it. I've had no problems with feedback and it retains all the tone of a full sized upright when amplified. Unamplified it is not a full or rich, natually, but pleny loud for practicing. The thinner body does make it much easier to fit in the car and a crowded stage too.

Having said that, I did just land a nice old pre-war Kay. I'm planning on keeping the Knilling for gigs where space is a premium on stage and in the car.