meisel basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kazukun, Jan 10, 2004.

1. kazukun

Jan 10, 2004
    i was wondering if anyone could give me their input on meisel basses. their website makes them sound as if they are good makers but, i am not too sure without a little advice. thanks
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I have one that I like very much. It's built like a tank. Sounds good to my ears; not too refined, but pretty loud. I've done lots of live and recorded work on mine over the last decade. I'd like to keep it and refinish it when I take delivery on my new bass, but I don't have the space, so I'm selling it. No regrets, though, it's a good bass.
  3. I noticed on their web site that they do not specify the country of origin for their basses. Before buying one, check the label inside. There have been many formerly "Made In Germany" instruments that are now made in other countries with cheap labor. They may look good, but the repair record for the formerly German basses made in S.Korea have been very poor. You can't assume that a German sounding name guarantees that it was made in Germany. U.S. Federal law requires that the country of origin be printed on a label inside the instrument. Check it before you buy.
  4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    kazukun, consider just giving Meisel a call; I don't see why they wouldn't be able to provide you with information regarding the origins of their basses. If they can't, I'd be cautious. Good luck...
  5. It all depends on which "they" that you talk to. The only sure way is to actually see the bass itself.
  6. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i play an old one, i don't know how old, but the finish is checked all over.
    it is no doubt built like a tank, has a small hole in one side.
    my teacher filed down the bridge to make it playable and i like it better than any other bass i have played so far, except a wilfer that was about 8grand, i would expect the wilfer to play better.

there is a new meisel at one music shop around here, and i actually like the way it sounds too.
    might be strings though.

i wish i could get my hands on my teachers bass to compare that with mine, but i would probably just become depressed....:D so maybe it is good that he won't let me....or any of his other students play it.

i'll really consider buying a meisel after i graduate when i'm looking for my own bass, unless i have a ton of cash to drop on a bass....then old carved bass here i come.
    by the way i'm not a music major, just found the opportunity for free private lessons once a week through the univ. i attend, and i play their bass too.
  7. You are kidding me!! I've never heard of such a thing....How about you other players and teachers and luthiers ?
    In my 40 some years of playing I have NEVER heard of a teacher that wouldn't let his/her students play his/her bass.
    I'd ask you to tell me more about this teacher, but I think i'm afraid to hear!
  8. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    really i've never actually asked to play his bass, i figure he would let me during a lesson but most of the time it is in its case and our lessons aren't all that long.
    maybe i should've said i haven't had the opportunity yet, and i'm not sure if others have played his during lessons, i haven't asked them.

i was actually thinking about an incident where one of his other students dropped the schools carved bass and it cracked so they had to send it out to houston to get it fixed.
    the student needed a bass for an orchestra concert and the student said to the teacher just let me play yours, and my teacher said no.
    i can understand since the student just dropped a bass, and i don't know if my teacher was conducting the concert.
    the guy ended up using my bass, and i think my teacher said he would've let the other guy use his bass, but he would've preferred not to.

his bass is an old german carved bass, he found it in pieces and never found the neck, he had to have one made for it and it is now a five string(low B string).
    i belive some shop on the west or east coast made the neck and put the bass back together, forget what it was called.