1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meisel Mozart: opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Roadie, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Roadie

Roadie

Feb 27, 2008
    New to forum.

My daughter is a bassist (orchestral), and we've reached the point where those school instruments just aren't cutting it anymore. I happened upon a used Meisel Mozart that is physically gorgeous, seems to have a good sound, and she really seems to like. The shop let me take it for the test drive, and that will be an important factor.

That said, they're asking $1400 including the bow (German) and bag. Before spending that kind of money, I would love opinions about this class of instrument. I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about this manufacturer.

My daughter has played the bass for seven years and is a sophomore in high school. She is pretty sure she wants to go into music. Apparently she's gifted with the instrument (I'll leave it at that). One last thing: we just relocated and I haven't yet found her a decent bass teacher (we are smack dab between D.C. and Richmond, if anyone has recommendations for those, too!), so the only persons I have to ask regarding the instrument are her orchestra directors (both of whom are cellists).

I greatly appreciate any input anyone is willing to give. I want my kid to have a good instrument (great will have to wait until we can afford more). We've experienced the bad of Chinese (school instrument)...I don't want to inadvertently wander down that particular path!

2. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I know nothing about the bass. The bad news - $1400 is not much money for an instrument (although it is a lot of money, period, in my world). It is only going to get more expensive from here...

I lived in the suburban DC Beltway area for a long time, but left in the late '70's. Only helpful thought I have is if she wants to play orchestral bass, get her a teacher in the National Symphony's bass section. A working pro can help her chances of becoming the same, eventually, or at least evaluate the option more accurately.

3. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I am not familiar with the Mozart model. I assume from the price that you must be looking at a laminated bass. I have a Meisel 8900 laminated bass that I use as a backup, and for outdoor gigs. Pricing on that model is currently around $2,200 (new). They are a very well made student bass, certainly not an orchestral bass, and, I would think, certainly worth the $1400 asking price.