Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meldoic minor, diminised ... is that hard ??

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Jan 29, 2003.

1. hi there
    I was trying to make a more advanced improvisation .. so I looked for more advanced scales ( I usually improvis on major and minor , harmonic minor, blues and pentatonics )
    I found it pretty hard to just stick scales like that between my normal playing ... and it never comes out to be jazz ... my question is how can I understand or feel those scales more deeply ?? should I play some chords ?? like what ??
    thanks for yer time
    Peace,

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    First you have to have a good understanding of "functional harmony". Functional Harmony is the study of how each chord functions within a progression. From there you can determine the appropriate tonal center and chord scale to use. A really good book on the subject is the Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine (Sher Publishing).

The book also shows some of the more used scales in jazz such as the "major bebop" (major scale with a sharp 5), Dorian bebop (Dorian mode with a #3), mixolydian bebop (Mixolydiajn mode with a #7), etc.

I think you can order it frombassbooks.com

Mike

3. thx mike ..
    I found those scales you told me very helpful and easy in the same time ....
    the idea is that I always go out of the scale am playing .. not into another scale .. but I just like the sound of some notes out of each scale .. when I tried to findout in which scale are this notes .. I found out that it can be ALOT of different scales ... should I think about scales and stuff while am improvising ?? it'll be impossiple to do that perfectly

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    First, learn the melody. That is the foundation of your solo. Once you have the melody, find the tonal centers and use them for the other notes in your solos. But, build off the melody.

Mike