Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Melissa Auf Der Maur settles the P vs. J connundrum once and for all!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Nov 24, 2004.

1. A quote from issue 14 of Bassguitarmagazine (Tony Levin cover)

Q: Are you still playing Precisions?

A: ....there's no reason as a bass player to play anything else. Maybe if you were playing jazz or funk, but for heavy rock riffs the Precision is the only one that's round enough and has the attack. A Jazz is good for walking around and going dink-dink-dink....

So there. :smug:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...with quotes like that you'd think it's an Ibanez ad.

brad cook

3. LOL! Perfect! I'm just glad _____ from Mudvayne is all about the Ibeenhadzes....

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I thought Ryan Martinie (sp?) played Warwicks...

5. Naw, I'm referring to the g****r player...the one with road cones for hair.

Oh, I forgot...they're foregoing the makeup now, and look like Pantera. All rough and tough. ;)

In fact, a press release!
    http://ibanez.com/news/GregT.asp

And to think I thought he was all Gibson Les Pauls from the beginning.... :p

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Funny, but most bass players who I associate with playing "heavy rock riffs" don't do it with a Pbass. For punk-sure, it's standard equipment-but not heavy rock.

7. Yeah, but the beauty is she's not only dimissing Jazz basses, but essentially ALL other basses. :D

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    More often than not, I see heavy rock guys outfitted with either Ibanez or some fairly botique custom bass (a BC Rich/ESP/Whatever custom might not be considered strictly botique, but it qualifies, I guess).

Of all the bands I've seen live, there never seems to be a "standard." But, I do notice not many of them are playing P basses.

9. geez...i play a lot of "dink-dink-dink" maybe i should consider a jazz bass...

in the meantime, has anybody ever gotten their bass to go "dink"?

Charlie

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, when you're the greatest heavy rock bassist in the history of the world, I suppose you have that right. I mean, just look at her heavy rock band resume. There's Hole, there's um....uh..Smashi...no, they're not so heavy, um............

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Melissa seems to be a nice person, but there I find her vision of bass playing to be very narrow...

:rolleyes:

12. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    'in the meantime, has anybody ever gotten their bass to go "dink"?'

Steve Harris! On a P!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I've managed it once or twice. I believe it's the sound of trying to pop above the 21st fret.

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I love how she says "there's no reason as a BASS PLAYER to play anything else". :rolleyes: Though, even if she had said as a heavy rock bass player, it'd still be close-minded and wrong.

15. exactumabubbly

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think people get waaaaay too uptight about off hand comments in a magazine. I simply read her comment as, "I'm happy with PBasses." And, it's not like she said, "And, if you disagree with me, you're an idiot."

17. Precisions are perfect for heavy rock. Just like J-basses. And Warwicks. And Spectors. And Music Men. And Moduluses. And Zons. And Alembics. And Laklands. And Wals. And Sadowskys. And Rickenbackers. And G&L's. And Conklins. And... Oh, lunch time.

18. Monkeee, who is uptight here? I woulda thought it evident that the whole of this thread is ridiculously sarcastic.

Do I needs to be adding some more :D ;) :smug: ;) :D es?

(edited to add last "e" to monkee(e)

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    haha, off to Basses [sic]

20. Whee! We're moooovin on uh-uuup!