Mellotron.. much are they worth today?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jokke_v, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    So... I've been wondering for a little while what a mellotron really is, so I did some searches including a google image search.
    Then! Dang in my face I discovered something..

About 4 years or so, when I was around 14 I was shopping for some costumes in a used store (salvation army) for some school project, then I discovered this remarkable instrument. It was like an organ, with tapes on it and other finesses. I tried it, and it made some strange, but cool noises and I was actually quite amazed by this thingy. Looking at the pictures and seeing the descriptions I now realize that this was actually a Mellotron I was looking at.
    It sold for about $40 or so in that store, and as far as I recall, it seemed in pretty good shape. I think all of the keys worked.

Now, I read that there are only 10 or so of a certain Mellotron type left in Norway, and I'm wondering if this was one of them.... ..though I can't be sure, cause it's been a while.
    But I do know that it was old and that it was a Mellotron.

So.. If anyone knows. How much of a mistake did I do by not buying this for $40?
    I could really love to experiment with it in my own music today, but now it's obviously too late.
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think a lot of people would be willing to pay $4000 or more for a Mellotron in good shape! If that was indeed a real Mellotron for $40, that was the deal of the century.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I heard somewhere that mellotron was making a comeback, and made a new instrument. Let's see here.... oh yes:
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Dang dude!

Well the new Mellotron Mk VI instruments go for $5200.00 USD.... As Keb says, you'd probably score $4000 for a nice old one, or at least $3000 I expect. Those things are the Bomb.

What color was the one you saw? White? Because a band I did sound for at a concert in probably '97 or '98 had one - but I think that might have been a Chamberlin.... It sounded amazing.... And I think that band was from Bergen, but I am not sure.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It might not have been a Mellotron. There were some similar instruments made for home use that were a lot cheaper, like the Optigan. If it really was a Mellotron you missed a fantastic score...
  6. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway

I'm pretty confident it was white yeah.

Damn... Looks like I missed out on something here. :scowl:
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    AW, DUDE!!!
  8. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    In proper TalkBass spirit: +1

But probably someone else got it - likely the dude in the band I mentioned.

Man. Imagine if some dork bought it, and couldn't figure it out, and went and dumped it in the landfill.... :bawl: Or rather don't. :ninja:
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh man :eek: Such a deal!

I love the Mellotron. I always wanted one. Some of my all time fav groups used them extensively:

King Crimson
  10. My grandfather has one he bought in 1970. Its in perfect condition and sounds..........WONDERFUL! I swear , youll think your Robert Fripp as soon as you touch it. You definitely missed out on a rare prize.
  11. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Speaking of Fripp:
    Does anyone know what Mellotron emulator he uses live with King Crimson? Sounds quite good, IMO, whatever he's using.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I could have swore he used a real mellotron
  13. I was just listening to the song "Mellotron Scratch" by Porcupine Tree. Since I got that CD I've been wondering what a Mellotron is, thanks for the info.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004