Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mellotron.. ..how much are they worth today?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jokke_v, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    So... I've been wondering for a little while what a mellotron really is, so I did some searches including a google image search.
    Then! Dang in my face I discovered something..

About 4 years or so, when I was around 14 I was shopping for some costumes in a used store (salvation army) for some school project, then I discovered this remarkable instrument. It was like an organ, with tapes on it and other finesses. I tried it, and it made some strange, but cool noises and I was actually quite amazed by this thingy. Looking at the pictures and seeing the descriptions I now realize that this was actually a Mellotron I was looking at.
    It sold for about $40 or so in that store, and as far as I recall, it seemed in pretty good shape. I think all of the keys worked.

Now, I read that there are only 10 or so of a certain Mellotron type left in Norway, and I'm wondering if this was one of them.... ..though I can't be sure, cause it's been a while.
    But I do know that it was old and that it was a Mellotron.

So.. If anyone knows. How much of a mistake did I do by not buying this for $40?
    I could really love to experiment with it in my own music today, but now it's obviously too late.

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think a lot of people would be willing to pay $4000 or more for a Mellotron in good shape! If that was indeed a real Mellotron for $40, that was the deal of the century.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I heard somewhere that mellotron was making a comeback, and made a new instrument. Let's see here.... oh yes: http://www.mellotron.com/

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Dang dude!

Well the new Mellotron Mk VI instruments go for $5200.00 USD.... As Keb says, you'd probably score $4000 for a nice old one, or at least $3000 I expect. Those things are the Bomb.

What color was the one you saw? White? Because a band I did sound for at a concert in probably '97 or '98 had one - but I think that might have been a Chamberlin.... It sounded amazing.... And I think that band was from Bergen, but I am not sure.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It might not have been a Mellotron. There were some similar instruments made for home use that were a lot cheaper, like the Optigan. If it really was a Mellotron you missed a fantastic score...

6. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway

I'm pretty confident it was white yeah.

Damn... Looks like I missed out on something here. :scowl:

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    AW, DUDE!!!

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    In proper TalkBass spirit: +1

But probably someone else got it - likely the dude in the band I mentioned.

Man. Imagine if some dork bought it, and couldn't figure it out, and went and dumped it in the landfill.... :bawl: Or rather don't. :ninja:

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh man :eek: Such a deal!

I love the Mellotron. I always wanted one. Some of my all time fav groups used them extensively:

King Crimson
    ELO
    Genesis

10. My grandfather has one he bought in 1970. Its in perfect condition and sounds..........WONDERFUL! I swear , youll think your Robert Fripp as soon as you touch it. You definitely missed out on a rare prize.

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Speaking of Fripp:
    Does anyone know what Mellotron emulator he uses live with King Crimson? Sounds quite good, IMO, whatever he's using.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I could have swore he used a real mellotron

13. I was just listening to the song "Mellotron Scratch" by Porcupine Tree. Since I got that CD I've been wondering what a Mellotron is, thanks for the info.

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004