1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mellow music that sounds like...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Anything to recommend along the lines of:

Phil Ochs' "Pleasures of the Harbor"
    King Crimson's "Prelude: Song of the Gulls," "Islands," or "Cadence and Cascade"
    Nick Drake
    ...etc.

Mellow, simple, happy yet melancholy songs with delicate/intricate guitar/piano lines, dreamy and airy moods... the songs listed above are just great for a late drive home or a quiet night at home.

2. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Oh my god Piglet.

3. MellowTone

MellowTone

May 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hmm I only know King Crimson out of those, but from what you described, maybe try out Beardfish. Good old school modern prog.

Care to elaborate more on what you want?

4. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
  5. A few more examples:

Genesis' "Aisle of Plenty"
    King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King"

Old stuff with a mellow vibe.

However, Fionn Regan is amazing. Different from what I was looking for, more of a straightforward folky style, but it's extremely calming.

I'm also looking into the other suggestions, I'll let you know what I find! Keep em coming :)

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
  7. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    I'm a big fan of Nick Drake and I'm constantly looking for that kind of music, old and new, and there's a few names I came across so far. First of all is Nick's mate John Martyn, a singer-songwriter from Glasgow, Scotland. Danny Thompson, who played double bass on Nick's first album Five leaves left, played with Martyn for ages and if you find some stuff they made together I think you'll like it. The second name I can now think of is Tim Buckley and third his son Jeff. Then there's a lot of younger artists who seem to be inspired a lot by that same kind of feeling, like The Kings of convenience, a nice duo from Norway, then Belle and Sebastian... You mentioned "Cadence and cascades", which is one of my favorite tunes as well, and I instantly come to think of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Take a pebble" and "From The beginning". Then there's also Van Morrison's "Astral weeks" album, some tunes from Traffic and so on.
    It's also funny to realize that some artists have been into that stuff all the time, although you wouldn't recognize it in their own work. I read somewhere that The Cure's original line up first met as members of Nick Drake's fan club, or something like that. Or Soundgardens Chris Cornell who also stated that Nick was a big influence. If you like instrumental music as well try Michael Hedges, he also sang some tunes, although not that often.

8. The song 'Islands' sounds like the blueprint for Sigur Ros to me.

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, Sigur Ros and Ulrich Schnauss were the first two that popped into my head.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    McDonald and Giles (ex-King Crimson) did an album together post KC that is very much what you'd be looking for.

This doesn't sound like what you are looking for, but in terms of mellow music, I recommend checking out some Jon Hopkins:

Very very mellow electronica, but compositionally strong.