1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mellow, Smooth High, Tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dozicusmaximus, Nov 14, 2010.

1. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've been doing some searching and so far these are the ones I see popping up the most. I'd like some smooth to the touch mellow rounds.
    GHS Pressurewounds - I've played these for a few minutes on somebodys jazz(a few years ago), and they felt awesome. But I dont think the tension is going to be enough. And the 5 string set my be to tight. What is the tension on these like?

DR Nickel Lo Riders - I have steels right now. Not to impressed really. A little clanky, and grabby. They are still pretty new though.

DR Sunbeams - I'll have to get a 5 string set.

Dunlop Nickels - Cheap, and I think the light 5 string set will work fine.

SIT Silencers - same as above.

Circle K - Had a set on a warwick, they were great. But I'm looking for a smoother feel. I know the tension will not be an issue.

D'ad Half Rounds - Seem to be everything I'm looking for, on paper.

Chromes - I have these currently. They feel outstanding no finger squeak, silky smooth. Maybe a bit to mellow. Wish they had a heavy guage.

Roto Jazz Flats - Good tension for my tuning, and smooth. Didn't really dig the sound that much.

Sadowsky Flats - I'm intrigued. Tension? Sound?

These will be going on a Pbass with a SB2 pickup. Tuned to DGCF to CGCF. Slow, heavy doom/stoner stuff with some occasional faster paced stuff. I usually play pretty hard. And hate the tone knob, its usually off/barely on because of the clankyness, unless I'm playing with flats.
    So I'm either looking for a really tight 4 string set or a floppy 5string set.
    Any other suggestions?
    Can anybody comment on the tensions, sounds?

2. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Or DR Black Beauties? Mr Ed seems to like them...
    I'll probably just end up buying a few sets. But I'd only like to get 1 set.

3. I like the Daddario Halfrounds, they are a great middle ground string, not too dark, tension feels same as nickel rounds.

4. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I think I'm going to throw on these Labellas I have laying around, first. Then reevaluate the situation :)
    But keep the suggestions/thoughts coming!
    Unless....
    Jamerson Labellas, they look to be pretty high tension.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If you like Pressurewounds, why not just get them in a heavy gauge? You could also go with Ken Smith Compressors, which are essentially the same thing in different gauges.

6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Their heavy gauge isn't heavy enough. At least it doesn't look heavy enuogh. I'm going to need at least a 55-115. Or a really high tension 50-110.
    I'm used to 45-105 ish for standard tuning.

7. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
  8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If you thought the heavy Pressurewounds/Compressors weren't enough tension, I think you're going to be pretty disappointed with the Silencers.

9. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    .120-.65? Really? I'm dropping the .45. Are they that floppy?

I got some Labella Jamersons. They seem to be pretty high tension. If they are close to the Roto 77s I'll be ok. I hope I like the tone haha.

10. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    You said you like the D'ad Half rounds so what is the problem. I use them back in the 70s, and for what you want they sound like they are the it, that or flats.

11. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Edited, they seem to be everything I'm looking for on paper.
    I've never tried them. I'll try them out next I guess :)