mellow strings that work for slapping

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by permadave, Mar 8, 2006.

1. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello All,
    Just got an L-2500 and am on a new string quest. Looking for mellow strings that also sound good for slapping/tapping. Currently using SIT powerwounds. Can you slap with strings like SIT silencers or Ken Smith compressors? Anyone had any experience with using those for slap/tap?

As always, Thanks!
  2. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've never tried the mentioned strings, but I know that nickel strings tend to give that sound you're looking for. I'm using D'addario nickel wound strings and they sound great! I'm not sure how long they'll last, but i'm enjoying them. I'd also like to try DR Sunbeams for this type of tone.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Dude, I absolutely ADORE the slap sound of SIT Silencers (I use 45-100.) They give my Warwick Corvette depth, warmth, fatness, and smoothness without robbing the lovely growl. The smooth feel and tension are just right for me.

I would recommend against Ken Smith Compressors. I tried a set of those because they were a big cheaper than the Silencers and they're awful. They feel rough and the tone is overly twangy. I have a set of DR Lo-Riders on now because I needed to get rid of those damned Smiths and wanted something good since my band has some gigs coming up. DR is a quality string. I want to try the Sunbeams.

I'm a lousy slapper, but even *I* sound good slapping on SIT Silencers. The slap tone is wicked. It's thick, rich, and fat. I like that over the more modern, hi-fi, twinkly, glass-breaking clack slap tones. If you want mellow smoothness with good slappability, SIT Silencers should definitely be at or near the top of your list.