mellowest sounding roundwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kindablue, Sep 17, 2004.

1. kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I have a G&L L-2000 and i don't know what strings are on it now(just bought it)but this thing sounds way to growly and bright for my taste.i prefer roundwound strings as oppossed to the i'm looking to get a mellow traditional tone out of it,what strings would you recommend?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Have you considered half-rounds, aka ground-wounds? These are rounds that are ground flat. If you don't like the feel of flatwounds you probably won't like half-rounds either, but the ones I've tried did sound much mellower than roundwounds, but not quite so much as flatwounds.
  3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    For the past year or so I've been using a wonderful half-ground string from Ken Smith called "Slick rounds". Same idea as a half-ground. You get some of the briteness of rounds but also the mellow big bottom and feel of flats.

I love 'em.
  4. Try a set of Sadowsky Flat wounds (you will be surprised!!) or his Nickel wounds...if I did not love the flats so much I would have the Nickels on all of my basses (I have on all my other players except for 1 of my Warwicks I have a set of his Stainless on)

SADOWSKY - Not just good Basses anymore...LOL - that should be his new slogan!!!

5. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I have five G&L's, including an L-2000 and an ASAT (which is the same pup configuration). I like the Fender Original Nickels for a good mellow tone that can bite a bit if you dig in. I've had some D"Addario Slow Wounds on the ASAT and the L-2000 lately -- they're OK, but the Fender's sound much better to my ears....
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    TI Jazz Flats=tension comparable to rounds and relatively middy compared to other flats. Basically like rounds except w/o the harsh brightness and finger noise.

perfect answer IMHO :bassist:
  7. After a couple of hours of break in, The TI Jazz Rounds are very smooth feeling and sounding. More in this thread .
  8. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have nickel wound D'Addarios (EXL 160s and EXL 170s) on two of my basses. Try'em and see what you think. At least they're not terribly expensive, so if you don't like them at least you're not out a fortune.
  9. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I love Ken Smith Burners nickel roundwounds. They're smooth to the touch and sound great. With my bass & amp setup, I get a nice upright-like tone when I play with my fingers. When I switch to a pick, I get a nice, articulate, bright rock tone. Interesting slap tone too.

Oh, and they have a good lifespan.

Huge difference between those and the stock GHS boomers that came on my bass, which I thought were wooly and just plain bad.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    D'Addario Slowounds, if you can still find them.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Ken Smith Compressors.
    Deep and Round sounding.
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Just put a set on my Spector; Roundwound sound without the excess 'Zing'.