melodic death/black metal...suggestions on what bass suits it best

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IX Equilibrium, Jan 26, 2003.

1. IX Equilibrium

IX Equilibrium

Jan 26, 2003
    I play in a melodic death/black metal band using an Ibanez SR400. Now im looking around for something that would give me more of a 'punch'. I've looked at a Carvin B4 w/dual humbuckers, Jackson KBX, Ibanez SRX500, and a Fender Jazz. Could someone provide some insight on which would be suited for my kind of style? Give some details on which pickup configurations and body woods are conducive to this style. Thanks.
  2. well, the ibanez basses are definietly great for speed, as are jacksons, with the thin playable necks. and if you're playing an ibanez now, you might want to stick to a brand you're used to. or not...
    try stuff out! everyone can give you suggestions, but it all comes down to you and how the bass feels to you.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on your price range.

And, there isn't a "Death Metal" bass; the bass is what you make of it. You could get along just fine with a Fender Jazz, a Lakland Skyline, used Peavey Cirrus, MTD Kingston, Fender P, G&Ls just about anything.

I've been doing metal for years (my most recent band was a thrash band) and it's all in how you use it, not nessicarily what you use.
  4. Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    Hey if you just want to give your tone a lil more "punch" or what ever and you play in that kind of a band you might want to try out some different picks for different sounds. I have found that, that really makes more difference than you would expect it to. So try playing with a quarter or something that gives it a real nice cut though sound (hey if your playing in a metal band you might as well play with a metal pick;)
    just my $.02
  5. shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    If I were in that genre, I'd probably go with the BC Rich. That new warwick is bad assed too. The other warwicks are probably suited for that stuff, but it just looks silly when you play this dinky little bass with a huge neck. Ya know?

Anything but fender. You can't look like you're rocking out with a fender. it just doesn't work like that. Lol. Maybe I'm wrong though. Just play the field.
  6. Spector REX 2000 - either the 4 string or the 5! Comes with 2 EMG Hz pickups, and an EMG BT preamp. The preamp can be upgraded to run on 18v very easily! Shape is like a smaller smoother off explorer (the US series is the signature series for Rex Brown of Pantera!).

Check them out at

Check under 'the basses' and then in 'professional series'!

Piccy attached!