1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Melodic Jazz Funk Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 7, 2010.

1. Just added this - something a bit more melodic and working on phrasing - something I'm trying to do more of in my solos... :)

(Drums by Superior Drummer)

Hope you enjoy some of this

Cheers

M

2. prof pop

prof pop

Sep 17, 2007
    Ireland
    oooohh yaa. That is bitchin my freind! You ve got such an amazing tone amd feel.
    Love the Krk`s in the back aswell he he;)
    (I have some myself)

3. Thanks fella - yeah I love my KRKs, they're the 6"s that they don't make any more - shame I can't turn them up beyond a bare minimum - I think my neighbours would stop being as tolerant as they are at present... great monitors though.

M

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Always a pleasure to hear you Mike.

5. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Loved it. Great tone too

6. sounds great! how do you record video like that with such nice sound?

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    your lines are really excellent, i loved that.

reminded me of pattitucci, and pat metheny at times. nice.

8. Thanks - the bass sounds great though I did sweeten the mix a little in Logic - just tweeked the balance between the mids and the low-high frequencies - I wanted this to sound super-melodic...

Thanks again for checking it out

Mike

9. Thanks - I had Pat in mind when I did this - I think he's incredible :)

M

10. How do you get the audio into logic? I have mine set up to record just through an interface and the soundcard, but I'd like to do that tweeking too. Whats the process for that?
    Thanks

11. Hi Stu

I guess it's high time I posted some kind of How To... thing on hooking up a DAW and movie making software - so here's a really quick overview of how I do it now. It took some trial error before I finally got it sussed but here's how I did it for this vid.

First of all plug yourself into Logic or some other DAW - Garageband will probably be fine. The tricky part is filming and recording at the same time so I always hit record on the camera first then on the computer - then keep going until I nail a take I'm happy with:

[​IMG]

Then it's over to iMovie with the footage - it's best at this point it's best to have mixed your track to your satisfaction, this is where any 'tweaking' goes on (I've found the default 'bass amp' in Logic to be very good at bringing out certain frequencies i.e. the Mids, I usually go for the 'Top Class DI Warm or Mid) - edit the footage to the exact length of the audio - that way you'll be able to sync the two very precisely.

[​IMG]

Then open up a 'Mastering' template in Logic - Import a bounced file from your audio project - i.e. a Wave, AIF or MP3 but the higher quality ones are preferable. Then you can tweak some more on the audio with your various additional compressors and FX but this is optional - then from the File menu go 'Open Movie' - then go 'Export Audio to Movie' - this will then replace the not so great camera recorded sound with some lovely full fat Logic sound :) - then save the movie file to your hard drive.

[​IMG]

For a finishing touch you can then re-import the movie back into iMovie and add some smooth in and out transitions or text or whatever else you might want to do. It sounds a bit complicated but the more I've done it the quicker I've got - the key is getting the movie and audio clips exactly the same length then syncing the two is very straight forward - that's been the biggest headache for me in the past!

Hope all that helps - with YT now allowing high def vids this really is great for putting up great sounding and looking clips now.

Cheers

Mike

12. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Really good playing and tone!

13. Thanks Nick, much appreciated

Mike