Melodic/lead bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheInsane, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Im searching for some good melodic or lead bass songs to learn. In the band I'm currently in I do more of the rythmic stuff and Im searching for stuff that can make me evolve more in the melodic fiels as well. I mostly play metal but anything that is good is... well good :p
    I have hears some stuff by Stu Hamm and he's great for the kind of stuff I want. Maybe a bit hard to play at times though. I don do slap bass much at all and Im not really interested in that as of now either. Really good tapping stuff would be cool though.
    So basically I want some suggestions on more melodic bass songs that can improve that part of my playing. Some classical stuff would be cool as well.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    John McLaughlin Trio - Que Alegria (w/ Dominique Di Piazza & Kai Eckhardt)

Frontpage - Frontpage (w/ Dominique)
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  4. I know of Steve. One of my favorite metal bassists ever. He's simply amazing.
  5. endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd recommend checking out Peter Hook from New Order and Joy Division, who did "lead bass" in a very different way than the widdly widdly mentality. His playing is simple but often sublime, and very, very catchy. I think it demonstrates that the bass can be a melodic instrument without resorting to histrionics.

6. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    +1, he really is awesome. Try learning the bass 'solo' at the end of 'The Philosopher', it's a pretty cool little part. Since you a metal fan I would assume you know of Cliff Burton, so learn to play 'The Call of Ktulu' and 'Orion' for some great lead bass.

7. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Peter Hook plays nice, simple, memorable melodies. Real cool.
  8. Well, I know those songs already (except the crazy guitar sounding solo in Orion).

Keep the recomendations coming. I'll check out it all tomorrow or a couple of days from now.
  9. thansen

Jun 2, 2005
    Well, i am listening to some Smiths at the moment on my headphones and think you could do ALOT worse than Andy Rourke for melodic/rhythmic basslines..

Try 'there is a light and it never goes out', for example , off 'the queen is dead'.... classique
  10. The Fish by Yes