Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Melodic Minor Song Request

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sweetpea, Oct 9, 2002.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I'm looking for some sheet music that is written in the key of "uh" melodic minor... preferably one of the easy ones... like A or D.... but I'm not going to be too picky... I wrote a song in D melodic minor and am trying to "perfect" the music/accompanyment to it...

I did a search on "melodic minor" to find a song I could practice... :confused: :( Now, I've got a headache... ;) I am amazed at how ignorant I am of music theory... I thought I knew some stuff... but you guys are speaking greek.... ionic... lygroian..aphaletic... LOL... I'm only familiar with just the basics... I have a kick ass theory book that I've been studying... and it's helping my ignorance... but... I now realize how much I NEED to take lessons again...

**I glance in my wallet at emptiness**

um, so any suggestions?

P.S
    My first instrument is my voice, second is piano, third guitar....and fourth...(please don't hate me) is bass.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The only one that springs to mind is "Greensleeves" or "What Child is This?"

Sorry I couldn't help more....

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    **Hummming to self... What child is this....**

yep... it is in a melodic minor isn't it.... cool... The search begins.... :)

I'll go to google to see if I can find it online...

THANK YOU kind sir.

4. ::resisting This is Spinal Tap quote::

Uh...nice to see more Louisiana residents about, though I go to school up in Indiana...D minor is the sad-

I'll stop now.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Huh? I don't know anything about spinal tap.... and yes I am very sheltered... can explain your post?:confused:

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Okay, I'm about to prove to you that I'm a moron... but I'm gonna ask anyway...

Is there a song called Greensleeves? I went to google and came up with a copy of What Child is This

and it says Greensleeves by it... so I think oh, it's the same song.... then I search "Greensleeves" and a whole bunch of crap came up... Like flowershops, celtic inspired musician schools... and an album that had to do with Bach... Midsummers night dream.... I'm confused...:confused: **laughs at self** so umm... can you explain? Pretty please?:)

7. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    What child is this... cool tune... I absolutely love melodic minors... I think they sound... BEAUTIFUL... I'm getting sleeping kinda sleepy so I'll practice it more tomorrow... The version that I posted the link to earlier is written in E minor "e" and isn't very complicated.. just a few chord changes... and yes... my theory is a little screwy... sorry... I speak about things being in chords... It's the piano coming out in me... anyway... Emin... Bmin... D... I think... I can't remember the others off the top of my head.. I'm getting sleepy... but... it's melodic alright... I'll break apart all the chord progressions/ digest the music/memorize it tomorrow... ( I'm jobless, no more USAF, and have a bit of free time.) Then comes the fun part...to be continued...

any more songs out there? I'm open for suggestions, 'cause I wanna do an exhaustive study on them... (because I think they're Pretty)

I guess it's those 4 and 1/2 years of living in the orient...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Whyare these "easier" in any way ? I mean the thing about bass is that one key is very much like any other .

As to Greensleeves - it is reputed to have been written by Henry VIII - you know of the six wives - but this could well be apocryphal.

Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote a very nice "Fantasia" on this tune, with fantastic orchestration.

I would be hummming and singing...."Alas my love you do me wrong to treat me...."

9. Heh, sorry, it's all right. "This is Spinal Tap" is a movie that appears to be a documentary of a fictional famous band, called Spinal Tap. I forget which character is sitting at a piano, and an interviewer is talking to him about his new music. He says something to the effect of "This is my new song. It's in D minor, the saddest of all keys. People instantly weep when they hear it." (badly butchered quote).

It's a funny movie if you haven't seen it, though it's a lot more funny if you've been in a band. :)

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I can play a pretty mean version of "Lick My Love Pump" on keys. I always say I wrote it though; it makes me look "sensitive." ;)

Not that that's relevant in any way. :)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It could be worth pointing out that Greensleeves wouldn't originally have been played using melodic minor, it would have been Aeolian - minor 6th & 7th. Was it Vaughan Williams who popularised the version with major 6ths and 7ths?

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    How do you figure, Moley?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Although associated with Vaughan Williams opera, it was actually first arranged in F minor, by Ralph Greaves in 1934.

You can check out the details at the offcial site of the RVW society :

http://www.rvwsociety.com/orchestral.html

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Greensleeves was originally from the Baroque era where the idea of harmonic and melodic minor scales didn't exist yet, and modes were the norm. I could be wrong though.

15. Bruce Lindfield

How about this accurate historical account :

"On he accession of his son Henry VIII in 1509, the whole country heaved a sigh of relief. Here, at last, was a king they had heard of! Henry initially took little interest in affairs of state. He appointed Cardinal Wolsey as Lord Chancellor, Cardinal Sprunt as Lord Scrivener and Cardinsal Blackadder as Keeper of the Privy Rolls, leaving the king himself free to write 'Greensleeves' and tuck into a large bowl of syphilis. He immediately became deranged, fat and covered in pustules, and insisted on being known as either Keith or Michelle.

Henry VIII executed at least 50,000 people during his reign, especially singlying out for punishment anyone suspected of laughing at people who were slightly chubby. Unsurprisingly, this plump nutcase and Cardinal Blackadder got on like a house on fire, spending long evenings at Hampton Court wassailing, simonizing, dissolving monastries, tinkling with virginals and stuffing each other's orifices with lightly-oiled lamphreys. Such was the rich inner life of the new Supreme Head of the Church of England.

Henry, as is well known, had seven wives: Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Anne of Cleese, Moll of Flanders, Catherine Howard, Catherine Seymour and Catherine the Other One. This was in fact Baldrick - dressed up in an old brocade curtain and with a dab of anchovy paste behind each ear. The king, insane, half-blind, halt, lame and stone-deaf was grateful for anything he could get, and Baldrick, of course, felt very much the same way.

It is sometimes said, quite inaccurately, that Henry VIII died of a surplus of Lamborghinis. In fact, he was almost certainly murdered by cardinal Blackadder, who strangled him with an eel after being caught in the act of helping himself to a couple of peerages from the king's bureau."

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think the melody predates the Baroque era by quite a while, but as a traditional celtic melody. While the "civilized" world wasn't recognizing the melodic minor, it was most definately used in the traditional music of Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

But I also could be wrong.

17. that could be taken dirty.
    I played the King in my schools production of A Man for All Seasons. I got to wear a fat suit.

18. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I'm going to attempt to quote some of your posts... this might take me a while... (I'm still kinda new to talkbass.)

"Why are these "easier" in any way ?"

Bruce, I guess you missed the part where I said my first intrument was voice, then PIANO... the less sharps and flats... the "easier" on the piano... on strings it's a whole different story and I can see where you wouldn't understand that train of thought... ;)

Funk_e....
    Spinal tap sounds like a flick worth checking out... I'll keep my eyes open for it... Why is D minor the saddest of all keys...hmm... maybe I need to go back to the shrink's office... :D

looks like what I have, and what you're looking at are different... I guess I'll do another Google search; 'cause it looks like "Greensleeves" is a song, and "What Child is this" is also... two separate songs... right?

**please say yes or no** I need clarity here :)

"leaving the king himself free to write 'Greensleeves' and tuck into a large bowl of syphilis."

Um, that's just scary... :eek: How did such a beautiful song.. originate from a man that tucked himself in a bowl of syphilis... GROSS!

I'm gonna do some more research... then I'll be back...
    :)

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The melodies are identical.

You always get more than you ask for at TalkBass :)

20. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Okay, so they're the same song... I get the drift now... :) I'm having fun with it... I didn't spend as much time practicing today as I would have liked to... and now it's night time and I have to be quiet so I don't wake the "neighbors" :) I'll keep working on it tomorrow... by the way...

I am no longer jobless that's why I didn't practice much today...

Just thought I'd throw that in... I'll start taking lessons in about a month... (after the pay starts coming in)

Oh, and thanks for the history lesson everybody.
    :D

Ciao!