1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Melodic Minor TP lick - fingering advice please

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Bass_Machine, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Hi all,

Working on some melodic minor exercises up in thumb position, trying to work the arpeggios. It's really kicking my ass so I must be onto something practising this stuff!

Does anyone have a good fingering for this passage? I can't settle on anything I like consistently....trying to play it across G, D and A strings.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 22.11.57 1.

More generally, how do people tend to approach melodic minor stuff in thumb position - are there particular favoured scale shapes you have? I'm quite comfortable with a few approaches to similar exercises with major harmony, but melodic minor really trips me up!

2. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Well, I have settled on a preferred fingering on my own, and will reply to myself in case anyone else ever has the same issue and finds it via the search function :)

My fingering is based on the Michael Moore system (Melodic Playing In The Thumb Position, recommended reading as it’s a good reference).

My way of writing will be Note-Finger-String, and I number the fingers T 1 2 3.

This is one of MM’s positions (B natural under finger 2 on G string):

G-T-G Eb-1-D C-2-A A-T-A
    A-1-G F-2-D D-T-D B-1-A
    B-2-G G-T-G Eb-1-D C-2-A

This is the next position (B natural under finger 2 on D string):

C-T-G A-1-D F-2-A D-T-A
    D-1-G B-2-D G-T-D Eb-1-A
    Eb-2-G C-T-G A-1-D F-2-A

The last arpeggio I stretch to cover a 4th on the G string, rather than shifting to a new position:

F-3-G D-1-G B-2-D G-T-D

There - hope that’s handy to someone.

I’ll post a possibility across two strings which I also started to prefer consistently over others, but will do that later!

mtto likes this.
  3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Your fingering notation is kind of confusing because the string names and note names use the same letter type.

wathaet likes this.