1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Melodies/counter melodies?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'm looking for some songs/bands in which the bass player uses counter melodies or melodies a lot.

The reason being, I have been finding bass to be really lacking (in terms of creativity) in most metal songs (my main listening genre). Today, though, my mom started blasting some pop and I thought "crap, that's where the bass is." Where it actually sticks out. I don't like pop, though. Or any dancing music for that matter. =/

So I'm looking for some bass that is played as a counter melody (think Rush, I guess) or melody, but is NOT dancing music. Dancing just isn't in my personality, sorry. It can be jazz, blues, rock, etc. Hell, if you know some foreign music (like African or Asian or something), you can suggest it, too. My dad probably has it.

2. I was watching a Cream DVD the other day where Jack Bruce said that he was influenced by Bach's counter-melodies. You can definitely hear counter-melodies being used during there instrumentals.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, Bach is awesome. I was thinking more songs that are in a band setting as opposed to an orchestra, though. :p

Cream, then?

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Get yourself some XTC.