Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meltdown in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by seanlee747, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Les Toeador

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. L'amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. March of the Toreadors

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Carmen? What Carmen? (did not see)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. My Rosin is to a point where it keeps melting…. In its container (pops) it is due to the warm weather of Hawaii. I can’t seem to put the right amount because too much is being put on at one, I mean it just saturates the bow in one stroke. It causes quite a problem with my bass because when I change direction to bow up (starting from about 2” from the tip) the bow gets stuck… it creates a annoying pause. After playing for a minute the rosin creates the gritty build-up on my strings, making me wipe the strings quite often…. It keeps melting and I think I over rosined my bow… I have tried to wipe of my bow but that still did not help with my problems…… correct me if I am wrong but I still think I should stick with pops (the Humidity level of Hawaii)

Aloha!
    sean

2. You're kidding, right?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I feel yer pain, Sean. I tried Kolstein recently, with good results. If you use Pop's, just don't apply it when it's anything other than cool and solid. Mine's in the fridge until I need it. Don't leave it in a hot car, lest it tip over and create a miniature replica of Kilauea...:cool:

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Switch to something harder, like Carlsson/Nyman.

5. Move to Wisconsin. Your Pops will be solid as a rock 9 months out of the year.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Along with your toes, fingers, earlobes, and nose hairs.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I must concede and sound off with the chorus...

If your Pops gets applied to your bowhair as you would apply pancake syrup, you might want to try other brands and grades (while paying attention to your rosin's grabbing power with changes in climate). I try to be loyal to Pops cause it was used to start my first note on the bass, but it doesn't override my loyalty to making quality sounds.