Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Melted Woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    Hey, Ive heard of alot of basses with "melted woods" suck as tops, and fingerboards. i was wondering, what is the difference in the look or the sound of the wood. and how do they do it. I really dont know anything at all about it. And can we get some pictures in here?

thanks

-Jake

2. Huh?

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Off the top of my head, Conkin are the first (maybe the only) maker to offer "melted" tops.

[​IMG]

4. Fodera does a spin on that with their Yin Yang basses.

5. In case you were wondering, no, they don't actually melt the wood. They just carve it with such precision that it looks like the wood was spashed on the bass in liquid form. All it takes to do it is a bunch of skill, a bunch of patience, and a bunch of time. The effect can be pretty amazing though!

As far as affecting the sound, it probably does as much as any other bass with a laminate top. It would definately depend on the woods used as to how the bass would sound. The fingerboard would make more of a difference in the tone. By the way, Dingwall does this with their dual density core design. They take the heavier wood and place it on the lower-stringed half of the body and the lighter wood on the higher-stringed half. It makes for a more even and clear tone.