1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Melvin Davis KILLING with Lee Ritenour!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

dammmnnn

2. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Mel is the man!

3. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Great ensemble! It looks like Mel is playing a KSD Proto J fiver in this song.

4. FUNKY!

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was wondering.
    I thought it could've been an Fclef bass?

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That's a KSD no doubt.

Sounds good IMO.

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Melvin has been killing for a long time!!! He was the bassist on the "Soul Train" theme song that O'Byan did back in the day and on that entire album.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't think that's a KSD guys...

Unless he added a side jack, new pickups and a new preamp.

9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    ...YUM

10. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Mark, I believe it is a KSD, check out the following song that is in the same set with Ritenour. love this song btw...
    :)

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

12. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    It's a modified KSD,I was so impressed by the tone he was getting when I saw the DVD that I emailed him and asked him what was up with that bass.IIRC it had Seymour Duncan PUs in it,fat tone ,great player

13. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Here you go:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

14. This is from the WONDERFUL Lee Ritenour OVERTIME DVD. It's a career retrospective, with his more straight ahead stuff, the fusion stuff (with Anthony Jackson on bass... you want to be amazed, check out Captain Fingers!), and the more 'smooth jazz' stuff with Melvin on bass. Fantastic DVD.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, along with the late Dave Carpenter on upright there is a lot to love bass wise on that DVD at a pretty cheap price. One of the many things I dug on there was young drummer Oscar Seaton. If more smooth jazz was recorded this way with a live band, it would be so much more appealing to me.

16. I couldn't agree more, guys! An absolute must have for fans of great jazz playing. And especially Anthony Jackson! What fantastic playing.

Has to be one of the last live recordings with Dave as well.

17. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    38-39 is young? well I guess in comparison to the others,Oscar has been around for a while

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I didn't know he was in his 30's, but these days everybody looks young to me.;)

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'll be honest, I think Lee plays wonderfully, but some things are incredibly cheese ball. His distortion tone for instance. However, his music and the whole presentation really does speak to me so I can't say too much critical stuff about it.

I love that whole Overtime recording. Kenya Hathaway sounds awesome and Oscar Seaton is killing it throughout, and if he's not, session master Harvey Mason is playing.

Melvin Davis plays his KSD 5 string which sounds awesome imo (check out "Is It You" - I believe that has Seymour Duncans and some sort of SD preamp as well. That is "the" coveted modern J bass slap tone imo.

20. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    this sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOD...it's rare to hear the bass mixed so well on a dvd that all the tone comes through even on youtube. i need to get that dvd...