Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Melvin Gibbs

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Aug 30, 2000.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I was just wondering about Melvin Gibbs. What is he doing now? What kinds of gear does he use? I will take any information that I can get. Thanks.

G

2. Yo G..
    Here's a review of a new CD by the group (or one of the groups) that Melvin is playing with:
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/REVIEWS/R1298_63.HTM
    I saw him play with Rollins Band about six years ago. He is a killer. Talk about some DEEP grooves. At that show he was playing an MTD 5-string, and I know in the past he has played Warwick Thumb 5-strings. Not sure what he's playing now, but he's still listed under "Players" on the MTD website.

[Edited by Dave Siff on 08-31-2000 at 12:33 PM]

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wassap!

4. postin' on talkbass, havin' a bud..

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    true, true.

sombody needs to shoot me now.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Was Gibbs the guy who played in Power Tools w/ Ronald Shannon Jackson & Bill Frissell?

7. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, he was in Power Tools.

Nothing too flashy. Some of it was unsettling. I vaguely recall him playing a fretless on the album. Not sure, though.

John, I like your quote! Did someone really post that? Is the thread still kicking around? Sounds a little Springeresque for this site.