1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Melvin Lee Davis and the Bass RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bottomzone, Jul 21, 2007.

1. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  2. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    Man, I know I'm very dumb, but what's the difference between the Bass RC Booster and the Bass BB Preamp?

BTW, thanks for the link.
    I love Melvin's work with Lee Ritenour.

3. A bit of a zombie thread, but to clarify:

The RC (Rig Compensator) Booster is not designed to be a preamp but designed to be a clean, transparent yet deep, fat boost with limited EQ control.

The BB (Blues Breaker) Preamp (and a preamp inherently acts as a signal boost, since that's essentially what a preamp is) is designed to be a tad grittier/dirtier than the aforementioned RC Booster.

Hope that helps.

4. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    I have the RC Bass Booster and i use it almost like a preamp... sort of... i have a weird setup but anywho it sounds incredible, truly does.

I never turn it off and don't really like my sound when i do, i have the gain about 12 o'clock, treble 1:30, bass 2:45 and i can get a tasty fat studio tone (best for the non-grit sounds)

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Both can be described as "preamps" inasmuch as both provide boost and both have EQ; the BB is a tubescreamer clone and the RC, I don't remember whether it was just a FET boost with EQ of if it was a low-gain version of the TS circuit, somebody here provided technical clarification on that point not too long ago.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    RC = a clean boost. Keeps your sound intact but makes it hotter, more powerful. Bass & Treble EQ.

BB = has way more gain to its circuitry. Bass & Treble EQ. More of an overdrive but can be clean at lower GAIN settings.

I own an RC Booster. Never turn it off. It makes my passive basses come alive. The same sound but way better, cleaner, powerful. It's super transparent. I love it but only use it with my passive basses, which are the only king I own.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I ust watched this video:

and now I think I need one. Sounds great!

8. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I think I need Melvins talent! The pedals wouldnt hurt either.

9. It's a wonderful preamp, clean boost, and EQ (both for boost and cut) versatile pedal. Absolutely amazing for driving a tube amp or a grit pedal. I highly recommend it.

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    the trilog is also the onboard preamp in thier basses..I think im getting one soon.

11. 20 Hz Bass Center Frequency...woof! (literally!) :ninja:

12. I should clarify that I own a BONGO, arguably one of the hottest basses on the market, and it works its magic even better for that bass than it does on my passive if you ask me. Quite amazing how clear the tone is.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry, I'm not feeling the boost pedal. I could see like if you're a guitarist and you need two volumes, one for lead, one for rhythm, but not so much for the bass. Any other "practical" uses for it other than that?

BTW, how many people besides me were turned off when Melvin said the boost gave it a mid scoop?

14. HM are you sure RC satands for "rig compensator" cbecause they promised to name it after ME!

OK so not really.

15. I don't really like Melvin's tone to start with, to be honest.

But a boost has several uses. As I said before, you can use it to drive a pedal before it arrives at your amp. It gives you a LOT more clean headroom at your amp, and, to me, makes things much clearer. I never turn it off, because it's just not the same as turning up the gain on your amp.

Edit: If clear isn't the tone you're going for, this is probably not the pedal you're looking for. It will not do the tube warmth thing, but it's FAR from sterile, mind you.

16. Driving tubes, perhaps? :bassist: And as others have said, driving various effects on your board within a loop - like envelope filters for instance.

the RC bass boost is basically a subtle preamp with a powerful 2-band EQ. I don't have mine anymore because I really only need one boost setting, but it is a real nice box.

as for mid-scoop, let's just say that if it had a mid knob, I would probably have kept mine.

17. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use my RC Booster 3 ways:
    a) as a transparent volume boost for a couple of my basses with lower output. Just "turning up the amp" doesn't work for me as I employ signal-dependant effects and I like to change instruments quickly & repeatably live..

b) as a footswitchable eq. When I switch from fingers to pick (sometimes midsong/phrase) I like to have the RC set up with a little treble cut, a tiny bit of bass boost and volume gain. I get a much more seamless tone transition that retains the pick attack and bottom - but without getting instantly transported to Chris Squire land

c) to push my overdrive pedals a little harder. My Fulltone Bass-Drive and EBS Valve Drive really sing with a little extra boost (when I want it). By driving the pedals' front-end I don't get an equal amount of volume increase on the back end...

Also, you could use the RC to make a great passive bass respond more like an active - if you wanted to.

I hear you on the mid-scoop thing. I'm no fan of smiley-face eq! By boosting the eq controls, the RC can definitely be set to scoop. Of course the opposite is true as well!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Other than the tone controls, are there any significant differences between the RC and a more simple booster like the MXR Micro Amp?

19. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Probably not...

I also have an EH LPB-1 Booster. It has 1 knob & cost $40. It can boost just as well as the Bass RC.

-However, I used to have the Xotic RC Booster (white guitar version). It didn't have enough headroom to work 100% clean with bass, so I swapped out for the Bass RC Booster. Big improvement. All of this is say that it is very possible that another guitar-designed booster might not have enough clean input headroom for bass...

20. Yeah, it's cleaner, and less noisy.