Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Member Posts by Forum' Statistics

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by seamus, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Interested

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Not Interested

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    This is something I suggested in PM's to Paul and/or mods a long time ago, but we never pursued the idea beyond that.

Would TB'ers be interested in seeing member posts by forum to supplement the total post count that already exists? Say, either a number of posts by forum, or a percentage of posts by forum?

Since post count is already part of the immediate profile on the page, maybe these other stats could reside in the extended Profile for members. I always thought it would be cool to see how much time we spend posting in the various forums on TB.

**EDIT**

Forgot to add...since there are SO many forums, some could probably be grouped so the stats are bearable and don't put too much stress on the site.

For example, Basses/Amps, OT/Lounge, etc. Same for our DB members, I'm sure some of their categories could be grouped if this is at all possible.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, I think that would be interesting.

It might show some people up though!

Some people (probably including me :rolleyes: ) might be shown to have a high proportion of posts in off topic forums :eek:

I try to make up for it though :) I don't know a lot about bass gear, but I'd like to think I have helped some people in GI.

GI is my favourite forum :cool:

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    i like the idea.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thanks for the votes and replies so far. :)

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    True, one could derive OT posts based on a roll-up of all 'other' posts vs. total posts.

Good idea.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    meh, post count is just a psuedo-jock "I've been here longer so I know more" load of hippie crap.

WHOO POST 2025!!!

:)

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree actually, total post count doesn't impress me in the slightest. After all, an empty can rattles the most... ;)

Present company excluded of course. :D

What I thought would be interesting though is seeing where members spend most of their time posting.

At that point, total post count may become more interesting when 'posts by forum' represent a percentage of that total.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Meh, it's easy to tell if someone is a legit memeber, which is kinda like what this whole idea would be figuring out. I mean, there are two time of Talkbassers, the kind that make informative posts and the off topic lameos like me.

9. OTOH, there are members (er.... me) who post most in OT, even though we spend most of our time in the other forums.

In my case, I am still learning about things every single visit, and am not knowledgeable enough about anything to post in the other forums.
    But, OT, that doesn't matter, it's just for chatting to the other members; that's the only forum where knowledge & experience don't count.

So, IMO, it would show up those of us who are learning pretty much from scratch, but still like to talk to the other members.

It might be useful in selecting mods, but I can't think of anything else.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo, post count should be in members profiles. I dont see the purpose of having post count displayed for everyone too see, and I dont really need to know where someone spends their time posting.

What I thought would be interesting though is seeing where members spend most of their time posting.

At that point, total post count may become more interesting when 'posts by forum' represent a percentage of that total.

Maybe so, but I could spend a week in "Basses" just quoting posts and adding "I agree" to each post, and while my post count percentage in Basses goes up, it doesnt mean I know anything or have contributed anything of real worth.

Not trying to crap on your idea Seamus, just my opinion.:bassist: :)