Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Memory overheating

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My laptop has a problem with the memory upgrade overheating. What would you all think would help this? I was thinking a strip of copper or aluminum on the chip to suck some heat away. Anyone have any insights on this?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just keep shoveling ice into it. That works for me.

How did you figure out that your memory is overheating? That's usually a processor thing.

brad cook

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Blow on it.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The way I figured it out is that when I take it out, it works flawlessly. And if I take it out after it has been running a while, it is almost too hot to handle. A lot of other people have had this problem as well.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ramsinks

My brother got these for his desktop, he got them as a means to improve performance in his RAM, but seeing as their purpose is for heat transfer, it's probably what you're looking for.

I don't know if it'll work on laptop RAM, but it probably will since it's basically tape.

(my brother actually got a different type which was more of a clip on thing, not an adhesive thing)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Might want adhesive for amobile though.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With the little information here, I have a couple ideas.

One...make sure you keep the laptop on a flat surface. Yeah, I know it is called a "laptop", but it needs to sit on something like a table to ensure proper airflow. Also, run it plugged in as much as you can. When in battery mode, the fans will not run as frequently.

-Mike

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The other option would be to get one of those fan arrays that clips on to the bottom of the laptop. They make it a little less comfortable to sit with, but will aide in cooling significantly.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is what I was thinking of doing. Do you know of anywhere to get these?

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sure www.newegg.com will have 'em