1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Memory Toy Modulation Question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheDialog, May 2, 2010.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    How do i just get the modulation effect? I'm sure there's some pedals that can do the exact trick. I'm into mostly analog, true bypass stuff, but throw some ideas at me!

Thanks!

2. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Anyone?

3. It sounds like you want a chorus or a vibrato. If the memory toy gets the sound you like though, I'm not sure of the reason for using something else.

4. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    For now it does the trick, but I'd much rather just have a simple modulation effect without the delay. I am pretty simple when it comes to my pedals and I really don't need delay for anything...
    Current board set up:
    IMG_0269.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Have you tried setting the delay very low, with the feedback high and the mix at about eleven o'clock? I haven't tried this, but that's how you'd get just a mod effect out of a DMM...

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I don't think you could do this without turning the Blend knob completely clockwise with the modswitch on.

7. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Yeah, I did that while playing College Park today. It was close, but still had that slight delay. I'm not sold that I want a new pedal yet, but I'm down to buy/try some other pedals to find the "right one".

Anyone know anything about the pedal "Vibe" by Lovepedal?

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Hey, if you're near College Park, just go to Atomic Music and try out a bunch of mod pedals. They're gonna be cheap and they have a heap of old stuff that could be super cool.

9. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    That's a great idea. I have a few pedals I'm interested in trying (Malekko Vibrato and Lovepedal Vibe...as well as, a few different choruses...Analogman/Maxon PAC9 etc.)

I'm going to check Atomic's Gbase now.

10. Well for the most part, the only difference between chorus and vibe, is that chorus has a clean signal blended with a pitch modulated signal, and vibrato is pitch modulating the whole signal. In other words, it looks like you have the blend knob on your memory toy in the middle, which means you actually want a chorus. If you like the sound of it better with the blend knob fully wet, you probably want a vibe pedal. Of course many pedals do both.

11. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Throw me some pedals that do both Mingus ;)

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Eventide Modfactor.

13. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm looking for something a little more simple and small to fit the board.

14. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I messed around with it this morning and I think I'm going to want a straight chorus effect.

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I disagree. My understanding is that the difference between chorus and vibrato is not mix level, but the speed of modulation and sometimes the depth -- chorus is slow and tends towards a wider pitch variation, vibrato is fast and tends to move the pitch less.

Also, noon on the Memory Toy (as with the other EHX delays) was 50-50 blend, dimed is 100% delay signal. If the OP puts blend past noon then the dry, undelayed signal will have less volume and he'll lose attack. Also, IME, the Memory Toy cannot do vibrato.

As for pedals that do both: EHX Clone Theory, Worm, Memory Box, DMM, Deluxe Memory Boy, BBE Mind Bender, Dunlop Univibe... there are way more that are slipping my mind right now.

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Mingus is correct. A vibrato pedal modulates the note in pitch, while a chorus pedal does the same thing but blends it with an unmodulated note. Because the two notes are slightly out of tune with each other, you get the chorus effect. You can hear the same sound if you tune using harmonics, or if you play a G on the D string, then play the open G string at the same time. If they are perfectly in tune with each other you won't hear anything, but if you bend the fretted G slightly, you will hear a chorus sound.

17. Vibrato technically is just pitch modulation. A lot of things are often incorrectly labelled "vibrato." Sometimes a tremolo effect (volume modulation) is mislabelled "vibrato" (and sometimes a vibrato unit on an instrument is mislabelled a "tremolo"). Sometimes a chorus effect is labelled "vibrato" when the rate and depth are higher (like on the Roland JC-120 amp) but actually it's just a more extreme chorus. There is a vibrato component to a chorus effect, but it's only on part of the signal (and usually, but not necessarily, kept slow and shallow). But making it faster and adjusting the depth can give you Leslie-type effects. There's also an effect often called something using the word "vibe" in it that just modulates a frequency boost/cut (pitch and volume don't change, just tone). And there are effects that combine these things together for different flavors of vibrato/chorus.

Anyway, about the Memory Toy, I remember there being a thread when it first came out that talked about adjusting a trim pot inside to make the modulation effect be at a useable level (they often came from the factory not set ideally). Does the current crop of Memory Toys still require such adjustment, or have they now gotten it right at the factory?

18. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I didn't feel a need to adjust the trim pot as I feel the mod level is definitely useable. I think you're right with the mislabeling though. I am going to have to try different pedals to find the right one or combination to find what I want, but that doesn't bother me. I ordered a Maxon CS-9 Pro today, which should be here by the Thursday or Friday. I'll report what I think.

I also found someone with an original Vibe pedal by Lovepedal and I think I'm going to purchase that too and just see what it does with bass.

19. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I don't think Chorus is the answer. Got my CS-9 today and it's just not for me. I did some more messing around with the settings on the Memory Toy and for now I found a setting I really like. I'm still on the pedal search for things similar to the "mod" sound, but I'm gonna keep it and use it for now.

20. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    Check out the Mind Warp by seppuku.

Does chorus, wild and weird modulation tones, and even vibrato to an extent.

I dig mine.

Also, the old Ibanez DMLs (delay modulation series) from the 80's are totally cool. I have this one. http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ibanez/10/dml10

Does delay, modulated delay, chorus, flange, and various *** modulation effects.