1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Memphis came in today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Well the Memphis came in today. With a mixture of anticipation and trepidation I un-boxed it. I was methodical about it and it was double boxed and I took everything off of it one layer at a time. I wanted my reunion so to speak with a Memphis to be all at once...the moment I put my hand on that neck to slide it out of the inside box it was like 'ohyea... I know that feeling...:smug:'

I looked it over, hefted its weight (not super light but not heavey and well balanced least to me it was), studied its woodgrain (my first one was a tobacco burst) and studied the neck. Then I plugged it in, tuned it up and played it. That deep resonant and clear BOOM BOOM was there just as I remembered it. These basses do have an awesome sound (least the lawsuit Pbass ones at any rate). The neck was rather awkward though. It didn't seem /as/ bad as my first one and part of it was the action is way low on this one and I am larger now, as in I grew up LOL. This thing seems rather small to me now whereas before it was HUGE. LOL I was 13 with my first one and it seemed pretty honking big to me at the time. Part of the awkwardness of the neck though I theorize is its shape. I am still learning the details on the different neck shapes but off hand the way this one is shaped and by its thickness I think its a big fat C and I don't think I care too much for it which explains why I had such a hard time with my first one. BUT with the action low it does offset it a bit.

Overall, I can't believe Im about to say this; I really like this one. I love its sound and I can imagine how its going to be with new strings and a set up. Dare I say this one /might/ become one of my Go To basses....:eek: that is if I can get past the neck shape on it and I think the set up might compensate well enough there.

The pup cover isn't as sharp on this one as my first one. And the bridge cover still has the foam inside it. The serial # sticker is still on the neck plate. Its got a few scuffs here and there but overall this thing seems to have been in a time warp most of its life and very well taken care of. Oh and the frets are not new as the seller claimed but nicely worn and broke in... and I do like that :bassist:

Some felt what I paid for it was too much....no way..not after I got in my hands and looked it over.. no way. :D

Pictures will follow probably by this weekend.