Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Memphis Music Mall

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitedk57, Feb 15, 2006.

1. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I will be traveling this weekend through Memphis, TN and I was wondering if there are any cool music stores in Memphis. I found the Music Mall by Google, but I am not sure if the info is up-to-date.

Is this mall still there? Is it pretty cool? Are there any other music stores of interest besides Guitar Center in Memphis or Little Rock, AR or Oklahoma City, OK?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Strings and Things is one of the best stores in town. Is that the "music mall" to which you refer? They probably have the most sophisticated gear and is the best place for window shopping. There are other stores such as Yarbroughs and Bob Fischers, but I don't think either carries much high-end gear.

Bear in mind, I haven't been in any of these stores in 10 years.

3. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Yeah, the Strings and Things is it. Thanks for the help.

4. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Just an update...

When I went through Memphis I stopped at the music mall (Strings and Things). I have to say that I was not impressed. Maybe they have changed some in the last 10 years when guy n cognito went there, but they didn't impress me. I had my 15 year old son (drummer) with me, and he and I both walked away disappointed.

Their selection of basses and guitars was not impressive and not as high-end as I thought it would be. The Music Man Stingray was the nicest bass there.

They also didn't have much in the way of amps and cabs either. And I was hoping for more accessories like guitar stands, gig bags and cases, straps, hardware, books and sheet music, and other stuff as well.

I guess I am lucky to have such a nice music store near me. :meh:

5. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That's unfortunate. They use to be quite a nice store and used to have the best selection of high quality goods. It used to be one of the few places in Memphis to buy Ampeg gear.

I asked my brother, who still lives in Memphis, and he confirmed your observations. He said their selection went downhill after they moved into that facility and they tend to cater specifically to guitarists.

6. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    When I was in Memphis for school about 3 years ago Strings and Things was a little sad. I was rather impressed with Martin Music though. they had some really nice gear and seemed to be some pretty nice guys.

7. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've heard good things about Martin, but it is a little after my time in Memphis. It looks like they carry some good gear.