Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Men how do you embrace or greet your Male Family and Friends?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can would you please share how you embrace your Male Friends and Relitives IE Handshake , Hug , Kiss and if you would share your thoughts as to how the culture you grew up in influenced how you embrace or greet other Men. For example i was raised in a Traditional Irish American Family both maternal and paternal sides are Irish. My Maternal Grampa i allways gave a big bear hug and kiss too but my Paternal Grandfather insisted i shake his hand and not hug him for this is not the way men behave, both men were very close in age with similar upbringings.

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Pistols at thirty paces.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    if anything, a hug...

otherwise its an insult about their current state. and the war begins. :p

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    If its my friends and we're just hanging out it's "Hey" and then a punch in the arm.

When I visit my grandpa, we don't hug until I leave.

5. usually just a handshake.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A quick pinch on the ass is my "hello boys".

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, after a big hug, I usually offer to have sex with them. Mark and I get along well like that.

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

relatives, typicaly a hand shake. Closeer relatives at certain moments hugs.

My buddies at the Johnson lake drunk, hugs, handshakes and a coupel of em kisses on the cheek.

YMMV of course

Wesley R.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good question... as usual :p.
    I noticed something... if it's just a casual friend, it's more like a hey or a nod.
    If it's a close bud, or a bandmate, it's usually a sort of slap on the arm, maybe an odd handshake. Maybe a whap on the back if I'm out to startle them :p.
    Relatives are usually hugs, or insults, depending on the side of the family (all in jest, mind you).
    My longer-term friends are sometimes handshakes, sometimes hugs. Kind of odd I guess.
    Usually upon departing it's hugs all around though.
    Hope this has helped MM.

-Ray

10. Depends on depth/duration of relationship and circumstance. My old man and I hugged once (at my wedding) before he had a heart attack. Now it's everytime I see the guy. My brother gets the one hand shaking, one arm hugging routine, as do most uncles and male inlaws.

Friends are different. We used to exchange vulgarities and maybe a shake/snap/thing and call it a day. Since I moved and we got a little more mature (not much), we get a little more touchy-feely....but I've known some of these guys since 5th grade, so a little grab-ass is warranted.

Mike

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ehehehe way to bring this up MM

With friends… Hand shake/semi slap is most common... sometimes (well quite a few, especially if i haven’t seen person in more then our memory can remember (meaning a day or so) that hand shake ends with a semi hug...

Sometimes a semi leg hump for laughs...

With family... since I come from Russia... and Russians are weird... When I see my grand father for first time in a while its a hug and he might give a little lip auction on my check... then he goes for a cig and I light a bawl and we talk... after that its pretty much a shake... until I don’t see him for a while again… then its all over again…

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    A handshake. Unless my older brother is visiting, then it's usually a hug.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Handshakes all around for me. The only time I have hugged my uncles is at a funeral. It was definitely part of the culture I grew up in. No strong ties to any European culture. We were all just average working class folk from central Pennsylvania. Seems like I remember some German/Dutch influence.

As far as how I deal with my male friends at this point in my life. All handshakes again. I have a buddy who loves to hug and embrace, and it makes me really uncomfortable

-Mike

14. Oooops, forgot to add: if alcohol is involved...lapdances all the way around.

Mike

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For my Fathers (including in-laws) and Grandfathers (when they where alive), hugs when first greeting and departing. A handshake would seem too cold.

Uncles, some like hugs, some don't. I pretty well know by now. Handshakes for the ones who don't like hugs.

For friends, usually just a hello, unless it has been a long time. If it is a good friend and it has been a long time, maybe a handshake or a slap on the back.

16. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    It depends on the friends, some get a hug, and others get a firm handshake.

17. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Hugs for granddads and uncles. 'Hey' to the old man. If you knew my dad, you'd know why that isn't particularly rude. Insults/what-ups to brothers.

Friends are always at least handshakes if I'm not going somehwere. Promiscuous hugs for others. ;)

18. A "Hi" or "hey" for acquaintances. A grunt, a nod, mere eye contact, or just nothing for friends and family. None of the "embracing" business.

/edit - forgot "Hello hello!" for grandparents.

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    My family is very affectionate, so hugs and kisses.

With my friends its different hugs are usually a welcome thing among my friend or our own stupid handshakes. if a firend kisses me on the cheek whethe its ar guy or girl I think its just a kind gesture. I'm pretty good at reading people so I know how to greet some and how to greet others.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    male relatives get the handshake
    female relatives get a hug/kiss on cheek
    non related female relatives get groped in the closet. :bag: