Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

menacing

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by olps, Feb 18, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Does no one have any tips on how to sound really menacing (not necessarily for Polladio)? thank you

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Play Dies Irae arco.

Or the imperial march from "Star Wars."

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Sorry, I was thinking technique, not peices, but thanks anyways.

4. How can a technique sound menacing?

But anyway, I know a cat who plays with two German bows simultaneously, one below the bridge and one above. That's some pretty menacing stuff

5. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Ok... let me try again, I'm playing polladio, how do I get it to sound more menacing (bass part that is)? thank uou

6. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    I've not heard a polladio - do you maybe mean palladio? It could help if you provide a little bit more info, so the more experienced ones could just give some advice which you could use.

Are you playing mostly arco or pizz? Whats the setup for the group you're playing in? It's not going to help if you sound "menacing" in one way and rest of them have other ideas, then it will sound menacing for a whole different reason.

Or is this a solo piece?

If it is in a group - are you playing alot of running notes, melodies or mostly accompaniment?

Strong accents, and playing closer to the bridge might help. But if you are playing that diamond jenkin's palladio, then I will suggest you look at the techniques that the melody people are employing, and try to match or complement that.

Also, if it is the Jenkin's palladio, you might want to start at mf, with a strong accent, instead of really loud....as you have alot more ffs coming along the way, perhaps this is why you can't sound even more menacing later on - it's because you gave it your all at the start. I guess this goes for all music - watch your dynamics and plan carefully ahead.

7. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Yes, it is palladio, thanks alot for your advice, it helped.