1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Menage-a-quatre?!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Feb 27, 2008.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Lots of talk here about 3-ways (cabs), but little to nothing about 4-ways. Anyone care to elaborate on why a 4-way system (mono- or quad-amped) is not a viable or desirable option?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Seems like a good idea in principle, until you figure out how much it will weigh... and cost. But there's no technical reason it can't be done.

3. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    At some point you get into diminishing returns. No reason why you couldn't, but for most people it's not worth it.

Asad

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Exactly. The whole point of a 3 way system is that all frequencies are covered with no gaps. You can pretty much achieve this with a 2 way system so a 3 way is already one more than the minimum. Adding one more driver for the sake of adding one is ....well... a little bit like "This one goes to 11".

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm sure they'd be viable if someone was willing to pay for them, but three way cabs are already a niche market within a niche market. It would pretty much be Tom Bowlus buying them all.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    [Mr. Subliminal Voice On]

Yeah we all know that there is no way in hell that a 4 way cab Accugroove El Whappo would ever be feasible El Whappo Jr. .

[/Mr. Subliminal Voice Off]

:D

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It's fairly common in pro sound reinforcement applications.

For best performance it pretty much has to be at least biamped, since you're generally talking about a dedicated subwoofer in a 4 way system (unless supertweeters are your thing for bass), and high power passive crossovers are very ungainly for the lower frequency range. If you really need very deep extension at substantial sound pressure levels in the lows and excellent broadband fidelity, it makes plenty of sense if you like burning money and owning a cube van. Personally I'd rather let the PA do the heavy lifting though.;)