Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Menatone Mail bomb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Anyone played through one of these? Sounds most like a.....Mutron(wet, squelchy) or maybe a DOD (deep dub bass filtered tones?) Thin, tinny? Fat,massive and deep or just plain awful or what?

[​IMG]

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i remember talking to brian mena about his pedals a while back. he's a bass player himself so many of his pedals sound great on bass as well as guitar. the mail bomb was one that he recommended for bass and guitar so i'm guessing i'll probably sound pretty good. sorry i don't have more details.

3. I think the MB sounds great on guitar. But for bass, I think there are better envelope filters in that price range. The sound of my MB has some similarities to the EH BassBalls, especially that high pitched "swiiishhh" that you get when the sweep gets to the top of the frequency range. It's cool and will stick out in a funk mix. But, it does seem to rob a bit of the low end. And, I'm still sorta infatuated with the Tube Zipper I picked up for cheep on eBay a little while ago. :D

~ Charlie

4. Hmmm..sounds like my old MXR, thanks for the review.
    Is that EH Zipper really any good for bass??? Any samples I have heard sound weird but useless.

5. I've only had mine for about a month, or so. But, I really like the Tube Zipper for bass. The resonance and filter (range) controls are pretty touchy. But, it seems like it can be made to sweep as much as you want, across whatever frequencies you want, high or low, from dub/house territory to gnat-in-a-tin-can. It also goes from straight-up fuzz (good, not great) to very flexible envelope filter to whacked out unpredictable. . . um. . . stuff. Maybe not everyones cup-o-tea, but I definately dig it.
    ~ Charlie