Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mendelssohn sextet

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by kurt muroki, Feb 6, 2006.

1. hi again... well not many people have heard the mendelssohn sextet... great piece... so i thought i'd post a rehearsal i had. this is not a concert performance so it's not fully rehearsed, just a runthrough: http://24.215.176.44/muroki/men1stmvmt.mp3

kurt muroki

2. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Interesting, Kurt. I've never actually heard the sextet. This is a little off topic for the recordings thread but I just checked out your website and noticed the list of chamber pieces with bass. It's such a great idea! A friend of mine attempted to put his own list together but yours seems to be more comprehensive (by the way, it looks like you have the Trout quintet on there about 3 times). I'm going to be playing a small recital with a cellist. Can you recommend any duos (other than Rossini)? Have you ever played the Romberg, the Kelterborn or the Benda? Thanks.

3. hi to be honest i know it's not a recital piece, but i like the vivaldi double cello concerto done on one cello and one bass... otherwise you could do the roussel bass/basson duo or even any of the bottesini duos or passione amarosa. Also Bach double violin concerto is a bit stretching it... but...

kurt

4. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    The Sextet is really a great piece. Didn't he write that one when he was 14 or 15 (no I am not thinking about the Octet)?

5. sextet was written when he was 15 and both were written a year apart... amazing!